Automation: Tag users in comment when custom field is selected

Breanna Williams May 3, 2023

I am in a company managed project.

I have a custom field named "Is product needed?"

There are 3 choices but only one choice should trigger this rule.

If "Yes, need to order" is selected then I would like a rule to be triggered for an automated comment tagging specific users that would order the product.

Is this possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Yes, that is possible. All you need to do is trigger either on when the field is updated or when the issue is created and check what value the field has. If it correspond to the value that should notify a user you need to get the users Atlassian IDs so that you can @ mention them in the comment. Have a look at How to mention another user to see how you need to construct the comment.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hello @Breanna Williams 

How will you identify which users need to be added to the comment? Is that going to be hard-coded into the automation rule?

What type of field is "Is product needed?"

Have you tried to construct this rule? Show us what you have so far and tell us with which part you are struggling.

Breanna Williams May 3, 2023

Hmm, would creating a "team" solve that issue (of identifying users for the comment)? The product team would remain the same so it could be a general comment to the entire team for visibility. @Trudy Claspill 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

According to this article you should be able to mention a People Team in a comment. However there appear to be some limitations, such as the one mentioned in this old post. I don't know if that still applies at this time.

I also saw this post from today where the poster says when mentioning a Team not all team members are getting email. It is unclear to me if that poster is working with a People Team or an Advanced Roadmaps Plan shared Team.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events