Cannot find teams unless I am a member

Hannah Sinemus October 13, 2020

Do you have to be a member of a team to be able to see or search for it? I know a specific team exists but I am unable to see it because I am not a member and have not been invited to join.

The team profile says it is "open" which means anyone in my organization can join, but I don't see any settings related to visibility that would allow me to change it.

If there are settings related to that visibility, where might I find them?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2020

Hi @Hannah Sinemus ,

As @Arthur Mack has pointed out, you don't need to be a member of the team for it to be visible in the search. As long as the team was created by a user in the same organization as of the searching user, team should be visible.

But this is where it gets interesting. As per the current implementation, "organization of the user creating the team" is determined using the email domain. If the email domains of users match AND are not part of a set of common email domains (ex: gmail.com), then the user should be able to see a team created by another user.

In your case, it seems your test account either does not have the same email domain as of the team creating user OR the email domains associated are from a not-allowed list.

Soon we will remove this email domain based logic and move to a "true" organization based approach, which will fix this limitation.

Do let me know if you need further help/details.

Regards,

Ishan

Hannah Sinemus October 15, 2020

@Ishan Somasirithat makes a lot of sense, they are definitely different email domains. I will be excited to see the "true" organization come to fruition so we can actually use this. Is there an open issue related to that feature that I can watch?

Like Arthur Mack likes this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2020

Ahhh that makes sense, all our users are in the same domain so we have no issues.

Art

Like Ishan Somasiri likes this
Travis Chilcott September 30, 2021

@Ishan Somasiri  Is there an open issue that is related to this feature of moving to a "true" organization?

Can you provide a link so I can follow it?

Thanks.

We use contractors in our Jira instance and since they have a different email domain they cannot @mention our in-house teams.

Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2021

@Travis Chilcott 

Apologies for the late reply, I missed this.We do not have a public ticket to track this change. If you are very keen on this, i could ask the team to setup a ticket. WDYT?

Travis Chilcott November 16, 2021

@Ishan Somasiri Thank you for getting back with me on this.  I was not able to find an open ticket that addressed the specific issue of creating teams with members that use different email domains.  If you could initiate a ticket for this and post a link to it, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

Like Ana López Blanco likes this
Ana López Blanco September 13, 2022

@Ishan Somasiri  Is there any news about this change? We are working with members with differents domain and it would be very useful to see a team created by another user. Thanks!

Like April Chi likes this
April Chi
Atlassian Team
November 23, 2022

Hey @Ana Lopez Blanco ,

Hope you're well! I'm a product manager on Teams at Atlassian. I'm just following up on this.

We're working on a solution to this. As a part of the exploration, I was wondering, do you create Atlassian teams that are confidential and not meant to be seen by users with a certain email domain?

1 vote
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2022

Hey @Hannah Sinemus , here is a ticket you can watch and vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-77867

1 vote
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2021

@Hannah Sinemus and others.  Since you've expressed interest in Teams functionality:

We have an upcoming release of a brand new Teams field in Jira and we'd like to invite you to join a limited Early Access Program!

With this field enabled, users will be able to
- Create and manage teams
- Associate Jira issues with Teams
- Search (JQL), filter, and create reports for issues by Team
- View the issues associated with a team on the team profile (across Jira, Confluence and more) We are launching this as part of a larger mission to enable our products to be more effective for teamwork. This field uses the Atlassian Teams concept (the one that is accessible through the People menu on the top nav on Jira and Confluence cloud editions). We are also working on unifying the different team concepts you see in our products today into one single Atlassian Teams concept that can be used across the Atlassian product suite. If this sounds interesting to you, we would love it if you would join us in trying out these early features to help us shape the future of Atlassian Teams. Please fill out this form if interested - https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9 We are looking for teams that currently use the free & standard edition of Jira software.

Full context at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Early-access-program-for-a-brand-new-Team-field-in-Jira-Software/ba-p/1833946

Form to fill to try out the feature : https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9

0 votes
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2021

Response deleted (see my other response)

0 votes
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2020

@Hannah Sinemus  You do not have to be a member to find  a TEAM. There are no visibility settings that I can see either so you should be able to find it.  Maybe it exists but you are searching for the wrong name?

Hannah Sinemus October 14, 2020

I am confident I am searching for the correct name. I created the team and I am using a test account to search for it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events