Automatically set custom field value based on user group

brian steele December 1, 2017

My company's development model uses "channels" to funnel in new features, enhancements and impediments from multiple business units.  Some examples would be a 'Sales' and 'Customer Support' channel. The problem is each channel has access to every project/product. I know this isn't ideal, but that's not my call. 

I would like to find a way to automatically set a custom channel field's (single selection list) value based on the user group that creates the issue. So if a user from the 'Sales' group creates an issue, the 'Channel' custom field would be set to 'Sales'. 

I'm not a programmer, so I'd prefer a way to implement this within JIRA's admin rather than some JS in a config file. That being said, if there is no way to do this with JIRA admin, I should be able to highjack a devs time if there's some sort of roadmap to follow for implementation. 

Thank you for any and all suggestions

1 answer

1 vote
brian steele December 1, 2017

Well, turns out you can do this as a post function from the create transition using custom user property values. 
JIRA allows you to add custom 'user properties' to each individual user. 

1. Choose  Admin Cog > Issues
  2. Select User Management > Select User.
  3. Select Actions > Edit Properties.
  4. Input desired property key (channel).
  5. Input the new properties value. Example: User is in sales channel, so the value of the new property is Sales
  6. Select the Add button. 

Now you can use that new property to create a post function on the 'create' transition. 

1. Click Edit for the workflow that has the transition you wish to configure the post-function on.
  2. In the Workflow Designer, select the transition.
  3. Click on Post Functions in the properties panel.
  4. Click on Add post function.
  5. Select Set field value from User Property value from the list of post-functions. (You'll need the Jira Misc Workflow Extensions plugin to access this post-function)
  6. Click on Add to add the post-function on the transition.
  7. Input the user property name in the Source User Property name field.
  8. Select the field name from the Destination Issue Field drop-down.
  9. Click on Add button to add the post-function to the transition.

Hope this helps somebody else. 
Thanks for reading. 

Andreia Couto August 10, 2018

Hi @brian steele,

I don't have this post-function option "Set field value from User Property value"
Do you have a add-on for this?

brian steele August 10, 2018

@Andreia Couto,

I wasn't aware of any added plugins at the time, but it appears that one of the other admins added the Jira Misc Workflow Extensions plugin to our instance. 

Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope this helps you. 

Andreia Couto August 10, 2018

I'm trying to get users properties values whithout adding more add-on. I have script runner but i can't find a why to write it.

but thanks anyway,

Kudos

Suggest an answer