New feature alert! Command palette is really here.

Hello community! :wave:

We’re so excited to announce that the highly anticipated keyboard-companion, command palette is fully released across Jira Cloud products. After a very successful early access program through Jira labs, we’re pleased to be moving it out of an opt-in-only experience and sharing this powerful new tool with all our users. Working in Jira with your keyboard is about to get a whole lot easier…

Full Command Palette GIF - Low Frame Rate.gif

What’s a command palette?

It’s like a hack to Jira, just open the command palette and search for a command. For example: Go to backlog, or Switch to dark theme , then press enter and just like that you’re keyboard shortcut wizard.

You can also find issues, projects, boards and filters by using a "/" in the search bar followed by a few key words from the item you’re looking for.

It’s quick, sleek, and there’s no clicks required to get a bunch of your work done in your projects.

The only shortcut you need

To open the command palette:

• press Command + K if you’re a Mac user.

• press Ctrl + K if you’re a Windows user.

Want to know more?

• If you’d like to read about what the command palette can do and how it could help you, learn more about the commands in the command palette.

• If you’d like a deeper understand of what the command palette is and how to use it, learn more about what is the command palette.

• If you want a quick explainer and overview of whats available watch our Demo Den video

Let’s talk about it

We’re always looking to improve. While we’re confident the command palette is going to deliver huge value to the people who use it, it’s never really finished. We’re keen to get feedback on what you’d like to see added to the command palette. So share your thoughts in the thread below :point_down:

28 comments

Peter_DevSamurai
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 28, 2023

Thank you!

Like Emily Ditchfield likes this
Daniel Franz - JXL
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 28, 2023

The command palette is great. When will it work in Connect apps?

Like # people like this
Jonathan Santos
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2023

Hi @Emily Ditchfield Excellent functionality, now I have to try it

Like Elaine Zammit likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2023

This is super. Thanks @Emily Ditchfield 

Yeah, as @Daniel Franz - JXL  it would be helpful for custom commands too but I think for me, that is a later phase thing once people get the hang of using it.

Like Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_ likes this
Daniel Franz - JXL
Marketplace Partner
September 29, 2023

@Yatish Madhav custom commands for apps would be awesome, too. Good point!

What I was asking @Emily Ditchfield is even more basic though. The ⌘K command simply doesn't work while a user has an app page focused (e.g. a jiraProjectPages module). We'd love it if it just worked everywhere in Jira, including in app experiences, and if we could invoke the palette ourselves as well.

I'd imagine fixing this would be low-cost/high-impact.

Like # people like this
Patrick Spitzner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 29, 2023

Amazing. Nice and fast!

I was a little confused about they keyboard shortcuts work, say "C" for "Create Issue". It would make sense to clarify that the Command Palette has to be closed before using these.

Like Elizabeth Nixon likes this
Finch Grace
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2023

Am SO excited for this! Great job, it's such a fast experience!

Dan Tombs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2023

This will definitely speed up a few users workloads, especially for admins who (me) have missed the shortcuts from server.

marcin_prokop October 20, 2023

Looks great!

Tim Eddelbüttel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 20, 2023

Just asking, does the new command plate break / replace the old "gg", "." command list? As it still opens but doesn't show any results anymore?

At least the old shortcuts where way quicker to access.

Odette Vuletich October 24, 2023

nice feature

Niklas Malmberg October 24, 2023

This sounds very nice and for sure useful, but for me this does not work at all yet.
Have tried Jira in both Chrome and Edge browser, but in both the browser search field captures Ctrl+K, not Jira. Am I doing something wrong, or is there some config that I could change? 

Like # people like this
Daniel Triftshaeuser October 25, 2023

Overall really nice but its missing some of the standard features from before.

When I have a ticket selected I can no longer execute actions like delete.

Also it feels like an oversight by putting this on the same key shortcut as google search for chrome browser.

Like EG likes this
Alexej Hinz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 27, 2023

CTRL + K opens "Search Google"  for me.
Do I need to activate Jira override?

Like # people like this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2023

CMD+K doesn't do anything for me, even though there are info fields about it throughout our instance.

Christopher Maxwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2023

CTRL + K is working well for me in Jira. I like it.

Like # people like this
Thulasiraman Nagarajan October 30, 2023

This is the great shortcut feature to have. It works seemlessly. Thank you!

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2023

Awesome!

Jared Moore November 2, 2023

This is an excellent new feature! Great work, team.

Emily Ditchfield
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2023

Hey @Daniel Franz - JXL, thanks for the feedback here! We haven’t investigated its use with connect apps or connect pages yet, but it’s something that we’re keen to look into in the future.

Like Christophe Promé likes this
Emily Ditchfield
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2023

Hi @Tim Eddelbüttel, we do plan to replace the “GG” shortcut menu and the “.” dot menu early next year. We have already replicated a lot of that functionality in the command palette and will be adding more before doing so.

However, nothing should have changed for your dot menu from this functionality (except for maybe a message about the command palette!) If this is the case please reach out to support!

Emily Ditchfield
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2023

Hey @Niklas Malmberg  and @Alexej Hinz, I’m keen to see why this is happening for you. Would you be interested in reaching out with me to chat about this issue? You can pop time into my calendar here or reach me at editchfield@atlassian.com

Emily Ditchfield
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2023

Hi @Anne Saunders there could be a couple of reasons that this is happening for you. You may need to check if your keyboard shortcuts are turned on, otherwise you could be in a bundled release track and may not have it yet. 

Like Anne Saunders likes this
Niklas Malmberg November 6, 2023

@Emily Ditchfield i believe the reason is simple, Ctrl+k is a keyboard shortcut in Chrome, which is the company standard browser we use. Ctrl+k means "search from wherever you are on a page" in Chrome, and it is captured by Chrome address search field. Thus, this command never reaches Atlassian software. 
AFAIK, this cannot simply be overridden by a user... 

It would be good if Command palette could be bound to user-defined keyboard shortcut, then I could find something which is not already taken.

Skärmbild 2023-11-06_104327.png 

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2023

@Emily Ditchfield I absolutely did have keyboard shortcuts off (as I have for the last couple years, and forgot because it's been forever) because it's too easy for me to accidentally hit one and end up taking an action or navigating in a way I didn't want. 

I did share the Command Palette news with my users, and some of them are VERY happy about it! 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events