Introducing Command Palette for Jira

Hello Jira friends and enthusiasts!

We’re releasing a command palette for all our Jira products and we’d like to invite you to join our experimental beta program!

command_palette_gif__2_.gif

Our Jira command palette is a pop-up menu that will provide quick access to various commands and actions throughout Jira via your keyboard. This initial release contains a range of different actions including - creating and updating some fields in issues, searching for your recent issues, navigating around your projects. The feature is intended to speed up and make it easier to complete your everyday tasks in Jira. If this capability sounds interesting to you, we'd love it if you would join us in trying out this early release to help us shape the future of the Jira command palette

:sparkles: Join the Beta group here: :sparkles:

What’s involved in this?

We’d like to give you access to an early release of the comamnd palette for use in your daily workflows. We invite you to join our public online Community group where you can report bugs, ask questions, suggest ideas, and generally join the product team conversation! We’re also planning on running research later this quarter and are hoping to chat with a couple of familiar faces from the beta group.

Who are we looking for?

We’re looking for all kinds of users - power users, new users, admins and end users! We want this functionality to be useful for everyone, so we need as many different opinions as possible.

Who is running it?

The group will be managed by @Anya Nagarajan and @Luke Ellery 

How do I sign up?

Just click the link provided. To reach out with any questions feel free to email us at editchfield@atlassian.com. Thanks - I’m looking forward to shaping the future of this Jira feature with you!

8 comments

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2023

Nice! I like this idea ... I dont currently use the dot (.) Actions context menu as much as I think I should but guessing this would replace that?

Also I am hoping it would work as fast as in the GIF above :) I think we have well over 800 projects, well over 500k issues and obviously the fields, schemes, workflows, screens, boards etc to cater for that - Looking forward to seeing this palette.

I have joined the group but is there an EAP or access to see this in action yet? And perhaps a timeline too?

Thank you for this.

Like # people like this
Emily Ditchfield
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2023

Hi Yatish! 

Glad that you're excited about this feature! We don’t have any plans yet for the dot menu. We would love to know how you use it or what brings the most value for you through it, so we can bring that same functionality into the command palette.

This is in the process of rolling out so, if you're not on Release Tracks, you should have access to the feature by Friday. You can enable it by turning it on in your Jira Labs settings, there's a more detailed description about how to turn it on here.

There isn't a timeline for a full functionality yet but if you're in the Beta Release group you'll be the first to hear!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Like Yatish Madhav likes this
Jaap Verhoef April 24, 2023

Looks like a really cool feature. I've been trying to open it, but in chrome it keeps forcing me to google search. Maybe the shortkey could be configurable?

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

This is completely unexpected feature from Jira and surely worth trying, thank you @Emily Ditchfield for announcing the public community group.

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

I use the keyboard shortcuts pretty heavily. Tools like Notion, Arc browser, and many TFTs (RoamResearch, Logseq, Tana, etc.), among others, have implemented similar features. I believe this is super important to increase productivity, and it can quickly become a central point for searches and many other tasks. I really hope to see cool features like this one coming to DC.

Like # people like this
Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2023

@Emily Ditchfield 

There's a bug.

If you use the command palette to transition an issue that has a transition window in the workflow to set the "Resolution," by user, the issue will be transitioned to "Done" without setting the "Resolution. As a result, the tickets remain unresolved.

Accessing the command palette is quite cumbersome when there is no option to map "Ctrl+K" to a single button. It would be much more convenient to have a shortcut that can be accessed with one hand. Currently, you have to lift your hand off the mouse to access the menu. If the command palette is intended for quick actions, it should also be easily accessible. It would also be helpful to have a shortcut that takes you directly to the advanced issue search.

As a Jira administrator, my usage varies depending on my working environment. Although the theme change option is available in the command palette, it is not easily accessible. This applies to other actions as well.

Since I frequently assist users and often need to provide help through screenshots, it would be convenient to have a quick way to change the theme. Considering that most users use the white theme, it would be better to provide screenshots captured with the white theme.

Having a better shortcut for accessing the command palette, such as "Ctrl+Q" or "Shift+Q," would be more useful.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

Interesting and thanks for sharing @Emily Ditchfield 

I wonder how this new command palette and the dot (.) menu will interact/overlap...

Like # people like this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2023

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events