Academic and Community discounts now available in cloud!

We're proud to support teams that are making a huge impact on their communities. To help you continue the work that matters most, we're excited to announce that discounted cloud pricing is now available for non-profit and academic organizations. It's our way of giving back to the community (and to hopefully improve the productivity of charitable organizations too).

Getting started

For new and existing customers interested in Academic and Community pricing, the first step is to sign up for a free cloud trial. Once your site is created, you can submit either a community license request or academic license request.

Start your free trial →

Already have a server license?

If you’ve been thinking about a deployment change, there’s no better time to try cloud. We're currently offering existing Server and Data Center customers a free, extended cloud trial that matches the duration and user tier of your existing license so you can assess, test, and migrate to cloud on your own time. 

Get free extended cloud trial →

Learn how your organization can benefit from industry-leading product performance, privacy, and security without the hassle of upgrading or maintaining a server.

• Save time and stop managing servers, and free up time to focus on what you do best.

• Reduce costs and save money on physical hardware, maintenance, and other hidden administration costs.

• Never upgrade again and get immediate access to the latest and greatest features, no work required.

Our Cloud Migration Center has all the resources you need to review, plan, and start your cloud migration journey. As always, our team is here to help answer questions and share best practices.

FAQs

(updated July 15th, 2020)

What products are eligible for this discount?

• Eligible products include: Jira Software, Confluence, Jira Service Desk, Jira Core, and all Marketplace apps. 

• Not included: Trello, Bitbucket, Opsgenie, Statuspage, and Jira Align.

Is discounted pricing available for Atlassian Access?

Yes! Atlassian Access is available FREE for Academic and Community cloud subscribers, contact us to learn more.

Do these discounts apply to Classroom licenses as well?

Yes, to learn more, visit our Purchasing & Licensing FAQ.

Does Atlassian offer a program for Open Source projects?

Atlassian offers our server and cloud products for free to the Open Source community. Customers can get more information on the Open Source license program and apply for licenses here.

Where can I learn more about Community and Academic licensing?

For additional details on Community and Academic licensing, qualifications, and application process, visit our Purchasing & Licensing FAQ.

23 comments

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2019

This is fantastic news! We are eager to spread the use of Confluence, Jira Service Desk, and Jira at our university -- but price has been a barrier. Not anymore -- thank you so much!

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2019

This is good news!

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2019

Hi @Miles B. , Can you tell us if Confluence Premium and Jira Premium will be available at academic pricing as well? Thank you!

aileen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2019

@Sharon Helms yes, Academic and Community pricing is available for our Premium plans as well. 

Like Adam Padron likes this
Kyb IT October 17, 2020

What are the non-cloud options for non-profit organizations in the near future?

Henno Gous October 19, 2020

Same question here...

What will be the non-cloud options for non-profit organizations?

Michael Beer _Verw_ October 19, 2020

Same question:

Please provide information about non-Cloud options for NPOs.

Thank you!

Jason Michaud October 19, 2020

Seems like some of us are in the same boat. What will be the non-cloud options for non-profit organizations? We are a Hospital System that has to have 100% HIPAA compliant products.

Alex Janes October 19, 2020

@Jason Michaud We are in the same boat here. Although we are not a hospital system, we're a nonprofit that handles patient data, and need to maintain HIPAA compliance. Going from $0 to $20k/year for us is just something I can't justify to my CFO, when I already don't get a budget.

Per HIPAA regulations, we need to maintain patient data for 7 years. Even if in response to this news, I stopped using Jira TODAY, I can expect at least 3 years of having to maintain the records in datacenter edition to ensure a secure system.

@Miles B. is this something we can get addressed? For us customers with compliance requirements, we can't expect to see HIPAA compliance in the cloud until at least 2023. So, we are forced to use the very expensive datacenter edition, even if we only have a handful of users in the system.

Can we at least get academic pricing extended to community customers who need to get data center?

Frankly, it kind of feels like we've had the rug pulled out from under us...

Miles B.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2020

Hi @Kyb IT @Henno Gous @Michael Beer _Verw_ @Jason Michaud @Alex Janes we're currently exploring additional options for non-profits and will provide an update soon.

However, your Community Server license is still supported until Feb 2, 2024, meaning there shouldn't be any immediate changes for your organization. 

As @Alex Janes mentioned, HIPAA certification in cloud will be available in 2023. For additional information on our upcoming cloud roadmap, please check out https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/!

Like Darryl Erby likes this
Alex Janes October 21, 2020

@Miles B. You say that our server software is supported until February 2024. But, I don't actually have 3+ years to migrate to the cloud. We have to maintain HIPAA compliance. If your cloud wont be HIPAA ready until 2023, that gives us a year or less to migrate. Healthcare systems don't move that fast, ESPECIALLY non-profits with limited resources.

So, 1 year isn't enough time, and we won't be able to make the leap that fast. Our auditors will not let us do that. So, I have no choice but to go datacenter once my license is up, or abandon the product.

Addressing community licensing... Even if you could extend academic pricing for data center to community customers, that would be something. But, if I explain to my boss that you are not extending the community license program to non-profits anymore, and now we must pay over $10k/year, he will tell me to abandon Jira now and never look back.

Frankly, in my eyes, Atlassian has F%$&ed this non-profit.

Kyb IT October 21, 2020

Hi @Miles B. - thanks for the heads up on non-profit licenses. 

Please do let us know as soon as possible what you came up with, as we have no option to "go cloud" and Data Center as it is right now is prohibitively expensive.

We understand that the final deadline is 2024, but we will not be able to get any additional 3rd party Server-based licenses as soon as early next year, so time is of essence already.

And we need to make decisions soon on whether we will continue to invest time and effort into our Atlassian-based systems. 

Thanks!

Miles B.
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2020

Hi @Kyb IT @Alex Janes @Jason Michaud @Michael Beer _Verw_ @Henno Gous ,

Thanks for your feedback and patience here. I'm happy to share that we are now offering free Community license subscriptions for Data Center. For more information, please see the post below:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Data-Center-articles/Introducing-Data-Center-Community-licenses/ba-p/1539124#M124

Best,

Miles

Like # people like this
Henno Gous November 23, 2020

That's great news, thanks Atlassian!

Kyb IT November 23, 2020

Great news indeed, thanks a lot for making this happen, including Marketplace apps! :-)

The one thing I still need clarification on is the "non-academic" part in the conditions...?

Jason Michaud November 23, 2020

Thank you! Such great news! We will begin our planning for this migration over the next year. 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

Do you know how to find charities that may need admin help?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2021

Great news! Thanks, Atlassian!

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2021

Thank you for sharing smile

Darryl Erby November 24, 2021

Is academic pricing available for the enterprise level as well?

edembskey September 15, 2022

No discount at all for Statuspage?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2022

Thanks for sharing!

Ayesha Mumtaz Khan September 20, 2023

We are an edtech company serving schools, can this apply to us? This discount can really help us out. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events