Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Work Management FAQ

103 comments

Jackie Sutter March 10, 2022

Hi JWM! I have been an avid Jira user for years in my software dev projects and "hijacking" them for marketing and project management. I really like the JWM idea but I am DESPERATELY wishing I could remove the epics from the board view. Epics in agile are not bit sized task/stories that can be moved in a timely way, so having them in the list just clutters the view from the actual tasks. I am sure you launch JWM with an agile mindset so its not "perfect" yet...but woudl you know if the board settings option is coming sooner than later? If not, I would set up our new boards still in the orginial software KanBan (also because JWM is missing the backlog functionality!) Thank you for the tips!

Bests

Jackie

Nikki DuBois March 22, 2022

If you purchase Jira Standard Premium - does Jira Work Management come with that? Or is that something we have to purchase separately?

Stefannie Tan March 24, 2022

Sorry, I don't quite understand this:

"

Do I have to pay separately for Jira Work Management?

For now, any licensed Jira user has access to Jira Work Management projects and features once enabled for your organization’s instance. Creating a Business project while using Jira Software or Jira Service Management means you are creating a Jira Work Management project."

We are currently using Jira Software. Do I need to purchase JWM separately or not?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

@Stefannie Tan If you have a license for Jira Software, that includes the functionality of Jira Work Management.

Like Stefannie Tan likes this
Stefannie Tan March 27, 2022

@Trudy Claspillhi trudy, thanks for responding. i tried adding jira work management but i seem to have messed up somehow. now i can't see it on the "to try" list. it's just showing up jira service management.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

@Stefannie Tan 

If you have enabled the product for your instance, then you should find in the Create Project screens you now have a new Template Category for Work Management, and you should be able to select that and create Business projects from the templates you find there.

If that doesn't address your question then I recommend that you open a thread in the Jira community on this topic.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/qa-p/jira-questions

There is also a community specifically for Work Management called Jira Core Server (the original name for Work management).

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/qa-p/jira-core-questions

Comments on an article really aren't the place to try to discuss a problem and get suggestions on solutions.

Thomas Rogan April 6, 2022

Greetings from Sunny Baja California, México!!

I wanted to revisit an old thread ... having just watched Erika's Keynote, I *WANT* JWM like NOW - lol !!

I am a PM for a firm that uses Jira Server (not Cloud or Data Center). What is the likelihood of this amazing tool (JWM) being available on that platform?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2022

@Thomas Rogan ,

I believe it was mentioned previously that since JWM was build up from the ground on the Cloud platform, it would be too big an effort to also build it for DC.

Therefor it becoming available for DC is almost zero.

You mention you use Server, as Server will be discontinued February 2024 I believe they have even stopped all active development for that platform this past February (except for certain security fixes)

Like Thomas Rogan likes this
Thomas Rogan April 6, 2022

Understood, thanks for the response, I will get with Platform Ops and see what their plans are!

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Nikki DuBois April 6, 2022

Are you able to build your own forms or can you only build out a generic form?

Marina Lane
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2022

Hi @Chase Wilson do you know whether a customer can convert their Jira Work Management standard license to Jira Software cloud Enterprise? Will any data need to be migrated? Any documentation on this would be very helpful!

Like Ryan Beller likes this
Ryan Beller April 8, 2022

@Chase Wilson if we start a new instance with Work Management, can we later change the license to Software (for the added cost) if we want the additional features and support for "software" projects?

What about the reverse? If we start with Software Management (as a precaution) but find we don't need/use the "software" features, can we downgrade our license?

We want to be sure we make an informed choice and don't end up needing to migrate instances to "switch" licenses.

(Edit: now I see the prior commenter asked the same question)

Like Philip Nilsson likes this
Paul Stallworth
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

It looks like you can use the "Fix Version" field in a JWM project, is that true or just a consequence of being an admin?  Is there any chance that Versions could be given first-class treatment to show up on boards, groupings, etc. like they do in JSW?  Even without the Release functionality, we have business teams like Communications that run campaigns in a way that versions could support.  For example, our email marketing team will run a campaign for the spring (the version/release), with the work happening from October - January split into high level parts like Undergraduate student emails, Family, or Alumni emails  that then decomposes into the individual tasks.  We can use Epics and Tasks to properly separate the work being done, but it would be great if Versions could be shown on boards and used to group issues to help show and track the higher level picture.   There's a lot work that happens like this in business teams and JSW is simply too much for their needs.  They don't necessarily need formal scrum or kanban, nor do they connect to dev tools.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2022

This appears to be a repackaging of the Business project. If it is, I will never use it again. After discovering the "feature" of disappearing issues from the board in a business project (not just the Completed issues in the Done column) I had to recreate the project as a software project and migrate all of the issues to it. Here is the 4 yr. old request to fix this issue. It was requested as this Jira ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68260

Which now redirects to this Jira Work Management ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-19

Marc Anderson August 30, 2022

Limiting JWM to cloud only cuts of a huge customer base who would love to use this fantastic software! I work with teams all the time that ask for the tools that JWM provides, but I have to tell them no because we operate on premise (for lots of reasons). The reality is that many (often large) companies need their tools to be on-premise

Like Beverly Braham-Durica likes this
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
November 3, 2022

Regarding "Do I have to pay separately for Jira Work Management?"

Respectfully, this section does not provide a yes or no answer, not even with caveats, and this is currently a problem for a cloud migration customer.

The JCMA requires JWM to be present for the migration and would not work without it.

However, our customer is being charged separately, and a customer advocate tells us this is completely normal.  

However:

"Jira Software and Service Management are built on top of Jira Work Management. If you have a license for either Jira Software or Service Management, you also get Jira Work Management with project templates made specifically for business teams. The Jira Work Management plan you inherit depends on what plans you have for your other Jira Cloud products."

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

We need help to ensure our customer is not being incorrectly billed due to a JCMA migration requirement.

Yannic De Baets December 15, 2022

JWM looks like a really promising application, for sure (quite some neat new possibilities vs. JSW).

We noticed some key-differences between JSW & JWM, is there by any chance somewhere a overview of the differences between JSW & JWM? (ao. epic-rollup would be indeed one the very much needed functionalities at the moment, next to being able to group epics on the board-view (also very handy on the mobile app).

Beverly Braham-Durica February 17, 2023

@Chase Wilson Now that FedRAMP for the cloud products has been postponed indefinitely, is there a plan for a Data Center offering?

David Embree April 28, 2023

Hi Jira Pals & @Chase Wilson @Robert Horan 

I'm trying to customize the Work Management board view, in order to pull some of my colleagues off of both Asana and Monday.com. One feature they like is the image preview in the tiles (visual attached).

Is there an option to set this up? Some of our test tasks in JWM do have images appended, but i don't see them reflected in the board view, nor a setting to activate a preview.

TIA!Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 12.03.12 PM.png

Matt Meeks May 1, 2023

I've been searching this article and it's comments, as well as other places, and I can't find out whether it's possible to use Jira Work Management in conjunction with Jira. I'm leading the UX team at my company, and we're working on improving our processes. We're currently using a Jira Kanban board and using the "relates to" functionality to link from our UX stories to the engineering stories. Does Jira Work Management have the same functionality? And would we be able to give non-team members access to at least view it?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

Hello @Matt Meeks 

Jira Work Management can be used on the same instance/site hosting the Jira Software product. In fact Jira Work Management is current available for free automatically if you have the Jira Cloud Software product.

Jira Work Management does have functionality for linking issues to other issues. That is a basic feature in all Jira products.

Jira Work Management has a kanban-like board, but it is not the same as the Kanban board you get with the Jira Software product. There are quite a few functional differences between Jira Work Management and Jira Software projects, as they target different audiences that have somewhat different needs.

To see issues in a Jira Work Management project, just like with a Jira Software project, a person has to be a licensed user of the product and must have permission to see the issues in the specific project.

If you would like to learn more about the differences between Jira Work Management and Jira Software projects/products, here is a recent article on the topic:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Work-Management-Articles/What-are-the-differences-between-Jira-Software-and-Jira-Work/ba-p/2320266

The only Jira product that gives other users the ability to view issues without being licensed users is the Jira Service Management product.

Matt Meeks May 3, 2023

Awesome-thank you! All of our users are licensed Jira users. While overall our Jira Kanban board serves us pretty well, there are a few things that Jira Work Management has that might create a better flow for us. I found that we do have it installed and there are a few projects already in our company, so I'm going to try to create a POC project and see how it works.

Jaime Ciria October 3, 2023

Hi @Chase Wilson 

I would like to know if in these JWM projects it would be possible to create a task from the email. That is to say, sending an email to an email address configured in the project, a related task will be created.
To understand how it happens in Jira Service Management.

Thanks!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2023

@Jaime Ciria 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Yes, it is possible to create issues from emails in Jira Work Management. Refer to this:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

Stephanie Shreve November 3, 2023

@Trudy Claspill We would like to add a collaboration tool not only for our internal teams, but also for our agency partners and clients. What capabilities are available for external parties to interact with JWM?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events