Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the differences between Jira Software and Jira Work Management? Your questions answered

JWM_vs_JSW.png

Hi everyone!

We're so excited to share a new, in-depth guide all about Jira Software and Jira Work Management.

If you've ever wondered about which one is right for you, what their similarities and differences are, or how to use them together, this is the place for you.

Keep reading

Got more questions? Let us know below. 👇

14 comments

Rahul Pandita April 5, 2023

thanks for sharing

Like • Abby Stiris likes this
Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2023

I created a Jira Software workflow, with this limitation:  I can't use an automation to populate a text field n a transition screen using smart values for the date and time, because there is no pre-transition automation trigger in Jira Software.

Is there a way of copying the existing workflow to Work Management and using a Work Management form function or automation to populate the field in time for the user to view it in the transition?

Like • # people like this
Barb Kambeitz July 4, 2023

Phil Bustin - did you receive any answers to your question....

I created a Jira Software workflow, with this limitation:  I can't use an automation to populate a text field n a transition screen using smart values for the date and time, because there is no pre-transition automation trigger in Jira Software.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2023

Barb, No, I did not.

David King July 20, 2023

I see the following information about JWM pricing

• Jira Work Management â€“ is included with every new and existing Jira Software license for up to 35,000 users until March 2024. For free. Companies don’t need to spend a penny more on additional project management software because everything they need is already connected to the same industry-leading security that powers Jira Software.

Does this mean that after March 2024, it will require a separate paid subscription? If so, I assume any existing projects would need to be migrated to Jira Software before then. 

Can anyone clarify?

Abby Stiris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2023

@David King thanks for your question! We actually have an update to this:

Any customer who has a JSW license purchased while JWM is included will continue to have JWM capabilities included at no charge for the life of that contract term and for any subsequent renewals unless this policy is amended. We have no plans to amend this policy for the foreseeable future.

AMIN EL August 7, 2023

JWM stands as a transformative force within Atlassian's presence in the market, poised to reshape the landscape. This advancement presents an opportunity to engage in robust competition with a wide array of Work Management tools and Low Code platforms, solidifying our stance without reservation. Notably, it forms the nucleus of Atlassian Together, underlining its pivotal role in our offerings.

Like • Kenneth Woo likes this
Michael Künzler August 25, 2023

What differs between JWM and JS is "how to treat boards" which is weird. I expected to having the chance to adapt the board in a JWM project, learning it's not even feasible. Issues marked RESOLVED or DONE disappear from the boards as the time of keeping them seems fixed in the background unreachable.
To administer JIRA always keeps a certain potential of head ache.
And my question (please keep it unanswered) is simply -> WHY?

Christoph December 5, 2023

Advanced Roadmaps is a feature in JS Premium (which we have)
Now we are looking for a way to include JWM projects in the capacity planning of AdvancedRoadmaps (aka Plans) but I haven't found a way to do so. Is that possible at all or am I just looking in the wrong places ?

Abby Stiris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2023

Hi @Christoph JWM projects do roll up into Plans! You should be able to add a JWM project as a source. Let me know if this helps: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/add-or-change-issue-sources-in-a-plan/

Like • Rabbit Stoddard likes this
Christoph December 5, 2023

Hmmmgrnfff - seeing is believing. JWM project indeed shows up. Need to clean my glasses .....
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and the super prompt reply ! :)

Like • Abby Stiris likes this
Rabbit Stoddard January 18, 2024

Is there any plan to pull in Jira Software projects to an overview for JWM projects? I'm looking to create  a project for our PMO, and JWM would be great, but they need to be able to look at overviews for Software projects more than business projects. 

Robert Ware-Lane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 5, 2024

Is there a way to view comments and attachments between JSM-JWM linked tickets?

I'm planning on using JWM for my engineer work diary and would like to be able link the two together, so attachments such as maintenance reports can be shared from JWM up to the JSM customer portal. 

Abby Stiris
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2024

Hi @Rabbit Stoddard we recommend using Plans to bring JSW and JWM projects together! https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/advanced-roadmaps/overview#what-is-advanced-planning

@Robert Ware-Lane this functionality doesn't exist currently but I've shared your question as feedback with our product team. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events