show description under a custom field in edit or workflow transition screen views

Adam Stolt February 21, 2022

I added some custom fields to a new tab and would like the descriptions to show up on the edit and workflow transition screen views. Is this possible? Are there any work arounds if it is not possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2022

Hi @Adam Stolt and welcome to the community!

Well, when you create these custom fields you can add a description. This description will be visible on these fields.

Now, if you want a more "custom" approach, you can create a new field configuration, associate it with the specific issue type you are interested in, and then edit the description of that field on that specific field configuration. Then this edited value will be valid only for this specific field config.

Hope that helps!

Using Jira Software Cloud, the custom field descriptions are not showing up on the edit or transition screen views. @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2022

Strange..

description CFs.png

yes, they would show up in "Create issue" 

but do not show up in "Edit" or "Workflow" screen views

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2022

There is no edit screen on cloud @Adam Stolt. Besides this take a look at my transition screen:

transition screen.png 

Adam Stolt February 23, 2022

transition screen shows descriptions, but view issue screen does not

Like David Wolfman likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2022

@Adam Stolt yes there is, and you can see it compacted under the (i) icon next to a field. If you hover on that field, the description will appear:

view screen info.png

There is no other way to show the description on the view issue screen.

Adam Stolt February 24, 2022

I agree that there is no other way

I am aware of the hover to show description behavior, but this is not an ideal way to see description 

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2022

Sorry to hear that for you it's not the ideal way to see the description on the view screen. You may try the marketplace to see if there is an app for this kind of work you need to do.

David Wolfman April 18, 2023

*facepalm*

Is it that challenging for Atlassian Devs to allow the end-user to create a custom field and choose whether or not we want to use a tooltip-type field Description, or print the full field Description directly under the field itself (for the issue/view screen)? This already works fine within Jira Service Management where the field description is printed directly underneath the custom fields...so the answer is that its NOT difficult for the Atlassian Devs to implement this.... When will Atlassian get around to this? After someone creates a feature request and a million people vote on it and then maybe 6 months after that. ;)

BTW, lots of people miss or don't notice the little tooltip "i" icon, or bother clicking on it...When you need to advise a technician or engineer on how to specifically input something into a custom field within a Jira Issue (after the issue has already been created), it would be VERY NICE to simply always display the Custom Field Description underneath the Custom Field itself, where you can easily tell people exactly what this field is for and how it should be used...

Per usual, having to pay someone more money in the Atlassian Marketplace to add a feature that should already exist within the core product, is an unacceptable workaround and waste of money.

Like # people like this
Adam Stolt April 18, 2023

Exactly @David Wolfman 

this is such a simple thing and ends up being so much more efficient if it was built in

Suggest an answer