'include subtasks' flag does nothing when checked / unchecked

Andy Atkinson November 28, 2022

Hi,

I have an epic with child issues. The child issues are all estimated, all in todo, and all have zero hours logged and remaining = original estimate. The epic has no original estimate of its own as its effort is made-up of the child issue's effort.

Whether I check or uncheck the 'include subtasks' checkbox, it changes nothing about the 'time remaining' for the epic, e.g. appears to not sum the child issues.

The epic is vanilla, so are the child issues, all from the same project, not linked to anything else...

Why can't I get the epic 'time remaining' to equal the sum of the child task's 'time remaining'?

TIA

Andy

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hello @Andy Atkinson 

The checkbox does indeed apply only to sub-tasks.

If you want to sum up the information for child issues to their parent Epic you can do that using an Automation Rule. There are several posts in the Jira communities about summing up values from child issues to Epics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jira+cloud+sum+time+from+child+to+epic&oq=jira+cloud+sum+time+from+child+to+epic

Andy Atkinson November 29, 2022

Thanks @Trudy Claspill 

0 votes
Lucas Muratore
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2022

For more details on why this happens, you can look at this community article:

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

Hi @Andy Atkinson,

Sub-tasks are a specific issue type, in the Jira hierarchy not supposed to be below an Epic, but one level deeper: below stories / tasks / bugs (which are called standard issue types).

I suspect that is why the check box does not have any effect on Epics.

Hope this helps! 

Andy Atkinson November 29, 2022

Hi Walter. I am familiar with sub-tasks. So does this check box only apply to the issue type 'sub task' or is it for any child issue that sits within the epic?

What I am looking for is for the epic 'remaining effort' to include the sum of 'remaining effort' for the children issues within the epic...I assumed this is what 'include sub tasks' is for....do I have have to have a plugin to do something this basic?

Cheers.

Suggest an answer