Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

how to give site only access (without product access) to users

I want to give some users site only access(without product access). but i m not able to do that. I can successfully invite users without any product access, but they are not able to log in to my site without any product access.
please let me know what is wrong. i want to limit the no. of licences as some users only need read only access.

2 answers

0 votes

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Product access is site access.  An Atlassian site is made up of one or more products.  There isn't a site outside them.

If you were to separate the site access from the product access, you'd find people with site access have nothing to look at.

What are you looking for people with "site access only" to be able to do?

I want people to be able to view projects with issues. only read only access. There are many project permissions like "Browse Project permission" that do not need product access and may be granted to anyone logged in to your Jira site. as per this below link 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/permissions-for-company-managed-projects/

Also, if I give users access to the site with product access then they become licensed users, and I don't want to pay for the users who have only read only access.

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Aug 23, 2022

I can't really find where on that link it says that you don't need product access for the "browse project" permission.

We might not want to pay for the license but if the user needs access to the project with any permission and view/use the features of the product they will need a license.

(only exception here is JSM which has a free customer user who has limited access thru the portal)

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/permissions-for-company-managed-projects/

Please read under Browse project permission under the blue bar. below is the quoted sentence .

"This permission doesn’t depend on specific product access to be useful. You may grant this permission to anyone logged in to your Jira site."

There's nothing in those docs about "site access" beyond saying "you can give access to people you want to use your site (i.e. the products that form the site)"

I think you are misreading what "site admin" means, not site access.  A site admin can grant people permission to use the products and the permissions within them without the site admin having product access themselves.

What are you looking for people with "site access only" to be able to do?

0 votes

Hey @Smita Garg and welcome to the community!

As far as I know that's not gonna be possible.

Whether someone can read-only or edit is a permission based thing. If they need access to a project (read-only/write/admin/..) they will still need access to the product itself and then not have edit permissions on that project.

A read-only license is not a thing that I've heard of..

I read at many blogs and other sites, where people were talking about site only access in JIRA , for giving read only access to some users to save licences.

Is it the old feature that has been removed now?

I can't speak to old features.
As long as i've work with Jira this has been like this. (granted it's only a few years)

Please read the below link where people are talking about site access only. This is what I am talking about.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Account-questions/Whats-the-meaning-of-site-access-without-any-product-access/qaq-p/1278123

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD Trial
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events