Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

how to copy issue key as a field value when an issue is moved from one project to another in Jira

Is there any way to copy the issue key value in a custom field when the issues are moved from one project to another?

For example 

Project A key abc
Project B key xyz
field name : Ref id

When the issues are moved from abc project to xyz project the issue key value (abc-01) should be copied in the Ref id field in the xyz project.

2 answers

0 votes
yuliia_b__SaaSJet_ Marketplace Partner Aug 25, 2022

Hi @Akshith Rekulapelli

If you want to track issues that moved from one project to another, you can check this article with a similar case:

How many tickets were moved from one Jira project to another? [Use case]

0 votes

You could do this with a relatively simple (scripted) listener that picks up the move event and looks at where the issue was moved from.

I wouldn't bother though.

• The old issue key can still be searched for, so you don't need to record it on move
  • The old issue URL will take you to the new place
  • You generally don't care what the old project was.  Moving issues is something you only do as part of housekeeping, restructuring, or when someone makes a genuine mistake and raises it in the wrong project.  None of those have any reason to need to expose the old issue id (and it's in the history anyway).  Moving issues should never be part of a standard operational process.

Hi Nic,
Thanks for your help. Is there any way to clear field values while cloning the issues?

I want to clear some field values on cloned issues
we are using Automation for Jira and script runner.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

5,055 views 18 32
Read article

Atlassian Community Events