Why are my "Done" issues not showing up in my Control Chart?

Andrew Vincent September 10, 2018

I have a project on a Kanban board using a Simplified Workflow with columns appropriately mapped to "To Do," "In Progress," and "Done." Whenever I go to my Control Chart, all stories that are "Done" (for us that is "Won't Fix" or "Done") are excluded from the chart. 

For example, the chart below highlights one of our Epics that we have been working on since May of 2018. We have closed over 150 issues over that time period, including a number between May and July, but they're missing.

image.png

If I set the filter to "status = Done" or "status in (Resolved, Closed, Done)" I get the error below. 

image.png

My initial thought is that I have a problem with my workflow, but the Simplified Workflow doesn't allow for much leeway. I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I should be able to figure this out, but I'm afraid I'm stuck. Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2018

Hi Andrew,

Maybe this is not the issue since your are using a default workflow, but check that your issues are getting a resolution. Either by putting it in the screen or by postfunction. 
The Done status does not mean much for Jira sometimes in terms of taking into account that the issue is resolved. What it cares about is having a resolution set, this is important too because when you set a resolution you get the resolution date, which marks when the issue was "done".

If this is not the problem... its a mistery...

Thanks for the reply, Lara! I included a screenshot below that lays out our columns. You can see that "Done" is flagged as "Set resolution." Is there somewhere else that I should be looking to make sure that my resolution is being set and tracked appropriately? Thanks!

image.png

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2018

Hi Andrew,

I find a little bit odd, that in your colums shows as  Done "no issues" but, in the screenshot you attached below there are issues in Done status.

You should check the filter of the board, and if you have any subfilter set

image.pngThis is the configuration of one of my boards, you should check that when you run your Filter Query, it returns those Done issue too. And that de sub-filter is not taking them away too.

Regards

Success! The board's filter was absolutely the problem. I changed it to include Unresolved and "Done" issues and everything looks exactly as it should in the Control Chart. Suddenly my data makes sense again. Thank you!

image.png

This has spawned one final question: my Kanban board now has 1,179 stories in my final column. Is there a way to filter out resolved stories by default, so no one has to look at them (or apply a quick filter to hide them) so the board remains useful?

Great thought, Lara, and thank you again!

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2018

Happy to help! So now you have two options, add a quick filter to hide them as you said. Or use the subfilter, what people usually do is add the Done column, but with a subfilter that makes the issues dissapear once they are in that status. 

A good example is a SCRUM board, if you have played with a scrum board you notice that when you finish the sprint, boards with the donde issues cleans itself, thats because the there is a subfiter for whenthey have fix versions.

Play with options and see which ones suits you better! :)

Marc Taylor November 27, 2018

Theres also a setting in the board configuration to only display done items that are less than X days old......

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2018

Hi @Marc Taylor,

This question is about Jira Software Cloud and that "done items that are less than X days old" option is only available for Jira Software Server at the moment :)

0 votes
Luca Caiulo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 18, 2020

Hi! I want to calculate the throughput of the done issues over time (2week sprint). So my idea was to get access to Reports/control chart and counting the number of issues by filtering them for -done-.

I may reckon to have the same problem of this post, I have read the replies above but I am not sure how to solve the issue. 

Basically I have the -done- column in my Kanban board, where the issues normally flow in but once I switch to the Report Control Chart and I click on it, no data are shown as the image below shows. I have eliminated ALL filters in the Dashboard View so to have all columns in the report (including -DONE-) but still showing no data. Any help? Thx a lot in advance

jira.png

0 votes
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2018

Hello @Andrew Vincent,

It may be silly questions, but on the first screenshot we can see:

• Columns: Backlog, In design, Ready... - does any of these columns include the Done status?
  • Quick filters: VFO 1 - Performance - does that include done issues?

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Thanks for the reply, Manon! These aren't silly questions; I just wanted to avoid flooding my initial post with unnecessary screen shots.

I shared our columns and statuses in my reply to Lara up above. You can see that the "Product Validation" column includes our "Done" status. 

The filter "VFO 1 - Performance" uses the JQL ""Epic Link" = APP-1346 OR parentEpic = APP-1346." I would assume that would include "Done" issues by default; is that assumption wrong? Even if that filter didn't automatically include "Done" issues, wouldn't my "status = Done" or "status in (Resolved, Closed, Done)" not return the "No issues" error in my first post?

I can also confirm that I have issues in both "Done" and the status of "Done" in the performance VFO from back in April and May of this year:

image.png

Thank you for your guidance with this!

Suggest an answer