Unable to add parent key to a task.

Mariam Abraham January 4, 2022

Hi, I'm currently working on automatically adding a parent key to a task on a "company-managed business" type project. I tried the same for "team-managed software" project and it was successful. It would be really helpful if someone could help me understand the reason me facing this issue is because of the different type of project configurations or due to some other reason.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

Hi Mariam - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Team-managed projects use the parent key for Epics. But Company-managed projects use the Epic Link field. 

Mariam Abraham January 4, 2022

Thank you so much!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

You are very welcome!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Mariam Abraham -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, and...to what John suggests:

The "epic link" field is being deprecated for the REST API, and so will be removed for automation rules also.  The timeline for this appears to be around May 2022, so I recommend watching this post for information updates: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/REST-APIs-and-webhooks-deprecation-of-the-Epic-Link-Parent-Link/ba-p/1873986

Atlassian notes they will try to automatically update rules, but edge cases may not switch over.  Those would require rule writers to update them manually to use the Parent field.

Kind regards,
Bill

Mariam Abraham January 6, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy , Thanks for the information. 

I came across another issue while working on "team-managed software" project, i was unable to update the "issuetype"  to subtask automatically.

Does the project restrict from adding a task as a subtask automatically?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2022

No, you can convert issues to sub-tasks, but you do need to specify a parent issue when you do it (which is not the "parent link", it's the sub-task parent)

Like # people like this
Mariam Abraham January 6, 2022

Thank you! 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer