Transition a card between teams

Jochem August 27, 2018

I am wondering if Jira has the functionality described below. It is basically a question of how to automate a feature request or issue to move within and between several teams and their phases.

I have been searching around the web and have not found a satisfying answer.

On the one hand the answer is that this is one project (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Transitioning-between-projects-using-just-one-workflow/qaq-p/365331) but in that case I'd like to know how to facilitate several teams with their own kanban/scrum sprint boards in one project.

On the other hand I find answers referring to JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/cross-project-workflow-transition-linked-issue-post-function/qaq-p/73703) but in that case I'm wondering if it is not easier to create our own Butler through the Trello API (lots of backend developers here).

Also I found answers referring to creating one board which works within several Projects (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Share-one-issue-quot-ticket-quot-across-multiple-projects-and/qaq-p/407534) but I can't seem to make that work.

This is our use case:

For our product I have 5 teams:

• Product Team (Kanban)
  • User Experience (UX) Team (Kanban)
  • Artificial Intelligence (AI) Team (Kanban)
  • Datawarehousing (DWH) Team (Scrum)
  • Software Development (SD) Team (Scrum)

The Product Team uses a Kanban board to write down issues or new features on their Backlog, transition them to their Requirements Gathering and when they are done with describing the issue/feature they move it to Ready for Development. Some issues are just for AI, just for DWH or just for SD. But most issues include the UX team and two or all three of the other teams. I would like to mostly automate the workflow.

For instance, if the application needs to handle a new type of data:

1. Product Team describes all requirements (data needed and how application should handle it)
  2. Product Team tags "DWH" and "SD"
  3. Product Team moves card to "Ready for Development"
  4. Automatically a card gets cloned/linked to team DWH "Ready for Development"
  5. DWH moves card to "In Progress"
  6. Automatically card in board for Product Team is moved to "In Progress"
  7. DWH moves card to "Done"
  8. Automatically a card gets cloned/linked to team SD "Ready for Development"
  9. SD moves card to "In Progress"
  10. SD moves card to "Done"
  11. Automatically card in board for Product Team is moved to "Done"

The process described above is of course a simplified version of our workflow. There are several Quality Assurance phases in between as well and it only describes a card moving between 3 teams linearly, instead of a card moving between 5 teams dynamically. But if Jira is not capable of facilitating the above simplified workflow it won't be able to facilitate a more advanced workflow either way.

A detailed description on how to achieve this might be too much to ask. But you would make my teams and me very happy if someone could tell us if this is somewhat possible with Jira or not; and if so, a point in the right direction on how to achieve this would be amazing.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2018

Hello Jochem, 

I believe the plugin Automation Lite for JIRA Cloud will provide you the functionality you need.

The plugin will allow your issues to be automatically moved to other Sprint/Project/team based on the transitions or any update performed with simple and intuitive configurations:

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 14.23.42.png

Jochem August 30, 2018

Hello Petterson,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not found this one yet. It's looking pretty good and I will test it. I'll also report my findings for anyone else.

Thanks!

Jochem August 30, 2018

When it comes to the workflow I described in my first post this plugin is most certainly a good solution! I have not tried a more advanced flow I need yet, but the first look seems very promising!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2018

You are welcome, Jochem.

Once you confirm this plugin is able to achieve the functionality you need, please feel free to accept my answer so it can help other customers looking for the same feature.

Jochem August 30, 2018

I think I already accepted your answer as the solution after your first response (since it looked promising).

First post on this community, though; so if I missed something, let me know!

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer