Summing up the story points from task that are link to a story

Helen March 24, 2023

Hello

I am trying to summarise my story points to roll up or add up to the story it is linked to.

For example, my epic is CON-143 Test Client

My story link to this epic is CON-174 Test Story (Parent Issue)

My task link to the story is CON-175 Test (Task Child of parent issue)

I want to add 10 story points to the task here

Snag_133607a.png

Then it must update the story points field on my story.

So the child task must update the parent task with the story points I enter on the child task.

Please can someone help?

2 answers

0 votes
Marja Kalinke August 14, 2023

@Trudy Claspill  Im trying something similar, but I dont have any specific field that I can relate the tasks to the story... how can I trigger the automation to sum up the field "Story points estimate" from all the tasks linked as "relates to" in a story and show final result in the field (same name) in the story?

doubt.png

Marja Kalinke August 14, 2023

doubt1.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2023

Hello @Marja Kalinke 

Do you the "relates to" link type in Tasks ONLY to relate them to their "parent" Story? Or do you use "relates to" in Tasks to link the Tasks to other types of issues for other reasons?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2023
Marja Kalinke August 16, 2023

I answered your question there, but I can not tag you.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023

Hello @Helen 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Is the Task a subtask type of issue, so that it is truly a child of the Story, or are you using generic issue linking to make the Task appear to be a child of the Story?

Can you show us an image of a Story issue that has child Tasks, showing us the section of the Story where the child Tasks are linked?

Do they appear under the heading Subtasks or under the heading Linked Issues?

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 11.22.35 AM.png

If the Tasks are subtasks, the answer from @Bill Sheboy on this post explains how to sum up a number field from subtasks to their parent issue.

Helen March 24, 2023

Hello Trudy

Hope you are well.

They are not sub-tasks they are generic issues (linked issues) as per your screen with the second red arrow.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023

Do you use a unique link relationship between the Story and the "child" Tasks; one that is not used for any other issue linking other than indicating one issue is a "child" of another?

Can a Task have that link relationship with more than one Story?

Helen March 24, 2023

Yea I use a unique field called contract number its a custom field I created. So the story and linked issue will always have the same number.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023

You could use a rule like this:

Trigger the rule when the Story Points field changes for a Task.

Lookup all the Task type issues that have he same Contract Number value as the trigger issue.

Create a variable to save the sum of the Story Points field for the found issues.

Branch to issues of type Story that have the same Contract Number value as the trigger issue.

Edit those Story issues to update the Story Points field with the variable you saved previously.

• trigger: when issue field changed: Story Points
  • Condition: Issue fields condition: Issue Type equals Task
  • Action: Lookup Issues
    • project = <your project> and issueType=Task and <your Contract number custom field> = {{issue.<your contract number custom field name>}}
  • Action: Create Variable
    • Variable Name: SumOfTaskStoryPoints
    • Smart Value: {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}
  • Branch: Related Issues: JQL
    • project = <your project> and issueType=Story and <your Contract number custom field> = {{issue.<your contract number custom field name>}}
    • Uncheck "Only include issues that have changed
    • Action: Edit Issue
      • Field to Set: Story Points
      • set it to smart value: {{SumOfTaskStoryPoints}}
Helen March 25, 2023

Thanks Trudy I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Hello @Helen 

Were you able to solve your need with the guidance I provided, or do you need more assistance?

Helen April 21, 2023

Hi Trudy

I must admit I haven't had a chance to implement it yet. I was roped into other projects.

I will make an effort to check this out before the end of next week. I will reach out to you on this conversation if I battle.

Thanks for following up.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events