Specifics KPI

Rémi ROUSSET September 4, 2018

Hi, 

I'm completely new to Jira. 

We're using Jira Support Center for our Customer Support Center, and I want to get some specific reporting each months like :

- How many tasks were updated to a specific status during the last month.

- How many tasks are still opened on thelast day of the previous month

- etc

For each KPI I need to group data by different categories (ie : department of the person who opened the issue, type of the issue, etc..)

What is the best way to get those numbers ?

I think I'm not the only one who need some reporting and dahsboards to manage my business, who do you do ? Which KPI are the rights for you and how do you get them ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry for bad english (beauce I'm french)

Regards

1 answer

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi @Rémi ROUSSET and welcome!

I will answer your last question first:

I think I'm not the only one who need some reporting and dahsboards to manage my business, who do you do ? Which KPI are the rights for you and how do you get them ?

Jira has not the answer for this. You need a design for all of your process to see what are the metrics which can be, not only useful, but also used (why implement something useful when no one ever use it neither will be ever used?). Check your needs and try to think of every metric which willprovide a continuous improvement flow in your process.This is mostly based in the methodology in your company

About the queries you need:

- How many tasks were updated to a specific status during the last month.

Have been in a specific status or are in this moment in that specific status? These are 2 different  queries:

• Have been in a specific status:
status was "XXX" AFTER startOfMonth()
  • They are right now in a specific status:
status was "XXX" after startOfMonth() AND status = "XXX" 

- How many tasks are still opened on thelast day of the previous month

Need more information,

1. All the tickets which are not closed only the last day of last month?
  2. If a ticket is not closed on august 31 and on september 4 the ticket is closed, it should be added to the KPI?
  3. What about tickets which are opened for more than 2 months? Should they be included?
Rémi ROUSSET September 5, 2018

Check your needs and try to think of every metric which willprovide a continuous improvement flow in your process.This is mostly based in the methodology in your company

Of course I agree with this , but be honest, every support center have many common and similar KPI and management reports.

Yes !Have been in a specific status or are in this moment in that specific status? These are 2 different queries:

None of this :-(

The question is : How many tasks have been updated from status 1 to status 2 during the last month

Need more information,

All the tickets which are not closed only the last day of last month?
If a ticket is not closed on august 31 and on september 4 the ticket is closed, it should be added to the KPI?

What about tickets which are opened for more than 2 months? Should they be included?

1- Yes

2 - Yes

3- Yes

Does it help ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2018

The question is : How many tasks have been updated from status 1 to status 2 during the last month

Then is something like:

status was "XXX" after startOfMonth() and status was "YYY" after startOfMonth()

Take note that you can change which date is affected like this: startOfMonth(-1d) or startOfMonth(-2m) etc. Put this into a dashboard to group the info by any field you need.

For the second KPI, you will need to use resolution and make sure that every issue which is not closed has the resolution field cleared. I always end using workflow post functions to update and clear this field, so users don't dirt the reporting.

JQL would be like this:

resolution was EMPTY BEFORE startOfMonth()

As before, use dashboard to group this report by data

If you need something more complex, you may even need an add-on which allows you to make a calculate reporting or even an external BI tool. There are very interesting add-ons in the marketplace that will help you with this.

Take note that the JQL I provided must be completed with other kind of filters, like projects, teams, or whatever you need. For more info:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/advanced-searching-functions-reference-765593719.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/blog/2015/07/search-jira-like-a-boss-with-jql

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/jql-the-most-flexible-way-to-search-jira-14

Rémi ROUSSET September 28, 2018

Thanks a lot for all your help.

I should now do almost all I wanted to do !

Another last thing : 

I want to know how many tickets have been set to one of 3 status  (eg Status 1, status 2, status 3) during past month, but less than 3 days  after being created.

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks a lot.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2018

I don't think you can do it without add-ons. Out of the box, JQL is limited and can't calculate variables as data, except the functions in the link below

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/advanced-searching-functions-reference-765593719.html

You will probably need some add-on that improve your JQL which allow you to calculate data and use variables to compare. The reason: you want to compare createdDate dinamically.

Rémi ROUSSET September 28, 2018

Do you know or recommend a specific addon for this ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2018

Well.. there are a lot of add-ons which improves JQL, but I can't say: "This lets you achieve what you need".

The only add-ons that I'm sure can achieve this are scriptrunner and Business Intelligence, but they are not sold as "improve your JQL with my add-on".

And which one should you use? Well, BI is extremely useful but hard to use, if there is someone in the company with experience in this, I would totally go for it, they allow you to configure any KPI you need.

With scriptrunner you would need to compare dates probably (link below, search compare dates). With a quick thinking, probably create a date field that fills itself with 3 days later than creation date, and compare them, but maybe it can be achieved easier

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html

Suggest an answer