Should internal comments be viewable for Jira Service Desk users?

Simon Singh May 1, 2018

I've set up a client who only has access to Jira Service Desk (Cloud)

user.png

And when they view a task with an internal and external comment, they can only see the external comment - which is what we need.

portal view.pngHowever, in the browser, they can change the url to xxxx.atlassian.net and get access to Jira - which allows them to see this:

jira view.png

Here the internal and external comments are available to view.  How can I prevent the user from accessing Jira - I was hoping that just having "Jira Service Desk" ticked would prevent access to Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2018

If a user should not have access to Jira, then the user must be only a Customer. Do not give the user another role or application access.

Simon Singh May 1, 2018

Alex, thanks. The reason for the other role is to restrict access to a single project. However, if I remove the user from this role too (for testing)

user 2.png

They are still able to access Jira, via https://xxxx.atlassian.net

jira view 2.png

It appears that granting permission to "Jira Service Desk" also grants access to Jira. Should I be revoking access to Jira in a separate group somehow?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2018

Kindly go to the User Management and have a look in what groups this user is included. I guess, one of this groups give the user access to Jira.

Simon Singh May 1, 2018

Thanks Alex - the first image above shows the user in question - they have only "Jira Service Desk" ticked, and therefore become a member of group "jira-servicedesk-users". There are no other groups for this user.

Simon Singh May 1, 2018

Ok, I've resolved it. I'd created the users as Jira Service Desk Agents instead of Users, hence they could see more than they should.

Suggest an answer