Share filter not available to specific group

Newlyn Erratt January 30, 2020

I am working  on creating some filters that I would like to share. I definitely have the ability to share as I've added certain groups. However I have one group that I cannot add to the share.

I'm assuming this is some issue with permissions for the group but I'm not quite sure what they're missing.  I gave them Browse Projects permission but no others as I want to keep it as limited as possible.  Is there some other project level permission the group needs.

I want to add bfi-dallas group.

This is what shows in the filter listcurrent groups.PNGHere is when I edit the filter.Permissions dropdown.PNGHere is the one permission bfi-dallas has.permissions.PNG

When I try to add I get a no group found message.

2 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2020

This did it. Thank you, I did a bunch of searches but never did see that!

Paul Stansberry October 14, 2020

@Mohamed Benziane - Does this hold true if I am already a Jira administrator?  That seems redundant to be in every group if I am an administrator.

V/R
Paul Stansberry
Edmond, OK

Like # people like this
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2020

Hi @Paul Stansberry 

I just tried it and you still need to be in each group with which you want to share the filter

Arnd Layer July 19, 2022

That is very annoying.

As an administrator I shouldn't be member of each group or project role, I need to share a filter or a dashboard with.

In these cases "sharing" actually means "granting access".

I am a consultant customizing Atlassian Cloud environments for my customers.

I can't be member of their "all eployees" group, which is also synced from their AD. But I need to grant access to filters for this group all the time.

Like # people like this
1 vote
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

Hello @Newlyn Erratt ,

Does the group populate at all when looking for it? Can you post a screenshot? Is there an error message?

Done, threw up a list of everything in the original post. bfi-dallas is the one I want to add but it doesn't show up in the dropdown and if I type it out it says no group found. 

Like edwin vasquez likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

Thanks for that. Try this. Fully type the name of the group and then try to add it even though it doesn't populate. I've had that issues before and just manually typing it does the trick for me.

Like Newlyn Erratt likes this

The add button just does nothing in this case. Even tried saving to see if the ui just wasn't updating but it doesn't add.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2020

One suggestion I've seen is to add yourself to that group temporarily and then search for that group and see if you can add it. This looks to be an ongoing issue/request

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-15900

Like Newlyn Erratt likes this

That did it. Thank you!

Like edwin vasquez likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2020

Awesome! Glad we figured this out.

Keith April 1, 2021

Howdy, I've been having similar issues but with Roles not Groups. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-t-Add-Specific-Role-to-Filter-Shares-v2/qaq-p/1653839

No offense, but isn't what Edwin describes 3 threads above a complete hack? Why do I have to be a part of a Roles pool in order to assign a Filter Share (Viewer or Editor) for a given Role, (esp since I 1. own the project 2. am project lead 3. have myself set in the Administrators Role)? Shouldn't any of 1 ~ 3 allow me to set the Filter Shares as I see fit?

What efforts are being made to fix this bug? I would not consider this issue Solved.

Like tjwood likes this

Suggest an answer