Select list with options the values in this field from other issues and the option to add new values

I need to have a new customized field, type 'select list'. The options must be the values in this field from other issues. Also we want the option for the user to add new values as options in this select lst. 

1 answer

0 vote

That's going to require an add-on for a new field type.

It's also going to be quite a hard one - the baseline select list is a set of options in a llist set by the admins.  You're asking for a dynamic recursive list where the option list is drawn from existing issues, and of course, the ability to add ad-hoc ones (without being an admin and doing it from the interface).

However, what you are asking for is pretty much a "labels" field.  It's not a drop-down, by  it will suggest existing entries as people type.  That's probably a far better option than writing a new field type.

Thank you Nic,

I want this field for the error messages. If I use a label field then my message is broken to many labels. I saw an answer to use - or _ but we do not want to say to our users to write the message in such way. 

Is there an add-on we can use?

Not one that does it the way you describe.

There is another option.  With the ScriptRunner add-on, you can create "Behaviours".  To get close to what you want:

• Create a simple select list with some of the errors you know about already
  • Add a last option with a name like "New error"
  • Create a new short text field, again with a name like "New error"
  • Use a ScriptRunner Behaviour to hide the text field until a user selects "new error" in the select list

For bonus points, you could write a script that says "when a developer accepts an issue with a new error logged, automatically add it to the options in the select list"

Is it possible to implement the above option for Jira Service Desk portal?

Behaviours does not work for Service Desk yet, but I'm told it's on the roadmap for very soon.

For now, is it possible to implement this functionality in the customer portal using Web Resource Built-In Script?

Not that I know of.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Feb 15, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

1,143 views 6 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot