Screen and Screen Scheme/Issue Screen Scheme Management in JIRA?

dianas April 9, 2019

Question - we have a bunch of Issue Type Screen Schemes, Screen Schemes and Screens in our JIRA instance that I would like to cleanup!

It looks like there are a lot of default schemes and screens that are the same but renamed upon creation to reflect the project they are on.

What steps should I take to verify and consolidate projects to the same screens / schemes and delete the unwanted screens, screen schemes and issue type screen schemes?

(It looks to me as if you need to go into the nitty gritty and compare screens to screens and schemes to schemes with a big computer monitor?)

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petru Simion _Simitech Ltd__ April 9, 2019

In order to understand how fields, screens, schemes are used by your organization you need to understand how are they actually related to projects. Once you have an understanding then you can refactor, delete, reorganize, etc.

Without this overall view, you will not be able to confidently reorganize or delete artifacts as you might affect functionality in some of your projects.

And without cleaning your Jira artifacts you will see in time that your db size will grow as well as your Jira performance will decrease. But worse, you will have to deal with an exponential number of artifacts that might be unused or obsolete, and that will affect your decision making.

Config Insights for Jira is allowing you to visualize how each such artifacts are associated with projects. And it also gives you the option to bulk delete what artifacts you consider unused.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220239/config-insights-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

dianas April 10, 2019

Thanks Petru - 

Yes - it was a given to understand how they relate to projects just tedious to go through so many pages to understand how screens/schemes differ from each other, if at all. It's very easy to keep creating default copied ones.

Config insights is a gem...many many thanks for the recommendation...but we use Data Center hosted JIRA so can't use it. I could not find a similar hosted app available? Does anyone know one??

Petru Simion _Simitech Ltd__ April 10, 2019

Config Insights for Jira will be available soon on the Data Center.

I know you will not be able to find the functionality elsewhere. This is why I wrote Config Insights for Jira :-)

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2019

@Petru Simion _Simitech Ltd__ Thanks for contributing to Community.  When you have a minute, please review our Atlassian Community guidelines for Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners.   We would prefer that you identify yourself as associated with the plugin vendor or solution partner before making a recommendation to use such service(s).  One way most vendors do this is

for example, by placing the name of your company in your user name in brackets.

We feel this just helps to be much more transparent with end users that might not realize your association with this plugin.

Thanks again.

Andy

Like # people like this
Petru Simion _Simitech Ltd__ April 15, 2019

@Andy Heinzer Thank you. Will do.

I assume by the username you mean the Full Name in the Atlassian account.

I did add the company name in brackets but I am experiencing the following problem.

I tried answering recently another question, and I do mention in the answer that the plugin I am making reference to is written by my company. I can see the answer showing after submitting it, however, when I refresh the page, the answer disappears.

Please advise.

How do I request vendor access? It is mentioned in the article that it is advisable but not how do I request it.

Thank you.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

There is a known problem when using the () parenthesis in your username.  This causes the @ mention not to work currently in community.  Instead please try to use the square brackets [] instead.  These are not affected by this limitation.

Thanks.

dbates February 24, 2021

@Petru Simion _Simitech Ltd__ - any update on when we can expect to see Config Insights on the data center?

Petru Simion _Simitech Ltd__ February 24, 2021

At the moment I am working on the Cloud version.

Like dbates likes this

Suggest an answer