Prevent comment from unlicensed users

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2018

We're running a service desk and I am looking for a way to disable comments after a certain amount of days.

The issue is, if I use jira.permission.comment.user - denied then the reporter can still comment on the issue either via email or from the portal.

I would like to disable that ability so the user will be need to submit a new request.

I would prefer not to run an automation that checks for a user comment after x amount of days then create a new issue from that because if they simply reply with a "Thank you" or something then it would need to be cleaned up.

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2018

Hello Raynard,

To achieve this kind of functionality, you will need a plugin that will automatically transition an issue to a specific status when a specific amount of days have passed and then add the correct properties to that status.

I recommend you to use the plugin Automation for JIRA and create a rule like the one below:

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 14.03.22.png

The rule above will check every day for issues created 5 days before the actual date and transition it to a specific status.

Then, you can configure the properties mentioned in the article below to prevent comments from customers (including comments through the e-mail or in the customer portal):

How can I prevent a customer from commenting a closed issue, but allow an agent to add an internal comment?

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2018

This is my current automation. It searches for issues that has not been updated in 3+ days and are in the closed, close status. (Don't mind the cron, I've been adjusting it to get testing results) Once it finds them it will change the property so jira-admins can comment but users cannot.

This does not stop users who submit the requests but does not have a software/service desk license, essentially our user population.

auto.png

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2018

Hello Raynard,

I've never tried to set issue property with the own automation of JIRA, so I'm not sure how this is applied on the issue, however, I've checked that if you perform it in a workflow status and configure the automation only to move this issue for that status after the time you want, it should work.

Can you check if the steps I provided works for you also when the issue is created by e-mail or in the customer portal?

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2018

The JQL shows that it's looking for issues currently in the status of closed,close. It's not looking to transition anything.

If an issue has been closed and not updated for 3 days...disable the comments for all except admins.

0 votes
Gundlupet Sreenidhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2018

Remove the comment permission from the permission scheme of the corresponding project.

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2018

I do not want to complete remove the option. I want this removed after certain conditions are met.

Suggest an answer