How can I prevent a customer from commenting a closed issue, but allow an agent to add an internal comment?

Davide Paleari May 6, 2015

I would like to inhibit a JIRA Service Desk Customer from commenting a closed issue, but at the same time I would like that agents and collaborators are able to add internal comments on the closed issue.

I know that there is a step property in JIRA workflows called "jira.permission.comment.user" that can inhibit comments on that step. Unfortunally this would prevent from commenting not only the customers, but also agents and collaborators.

How can I get this?

Thanks, regards

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2015

Maybe you can try:

jira.permission.comment.projectrole.1=xxxxx

jira.permission.comment.projectrole.2=yyyyy

where xxxxx is the project role id of agents and yyyyy is the project role id of collaborators

see: http://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status

Davide Paleari May 11, 2015

Yes, this is the solution. Thanks, very much

Rose Sahagun May 19, 2017

thank you for sharing! this worked :) I do not know if anyone can share any input on how to prevent a symptom of this change.

We have email requests enabled for our service desk - so now that we restricted commenting on closed tickets the system is creating a new ticket with the same informaiton. 

Any idea on how to prevent that? Specifially if customers reply thanks we do not want to have duplicates that contain thank you in the description. 

Hua Soon SIM _Akeles_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 5, 2018

Hi Rose,

A possible solution might be having another status "Fully Closed" which restrict commenting.

Then add an automation rule to transit the "Closed" issues for more than 7 days into "Fully Closed".

Tim Hotham August 31, 2018

HI, I tried to add the change to a particular role, but it removed comment from all users

Customer Tester.PNG

Like Adam Ziecik likes this
Tomáš Vrabec November 17, 2018

@Tim Hotham In your screen I can see that you are using Role Name instead of Role ID.

Like Tim Hotham likes this
Marc Quattrini May 23, 2019

"Closed" then "Fully Closed"? Really?

I think if more information has to be added to a "Closed" ticket, then it means that ticket is not "Closed" and should be kept in another status.

We don't have "Closed" but the last column on our board is "Done", which for me should mean the same thing.

I don't understand why users are still adding comments to a "Done" ticket. It makes no sense to me.

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2015

Hi David,

You could try to add an extra transition called 'Comment' on the workflow that goes from the Closed status back to the Closed status but that's only availble for your internal users (you can do this using the conditions on the transition).

You now just need to add a screen with only a comment field on to the transition and you're done.

Best regards,

Peter

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2015

That will definitely work!

Davide Paleari May 10, 2015

No, I tried, but unfortunally if you set the jira.permission.comment.user to false for the closed step, then the comment is also inbhibited on the transitions starting from that step

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2015

I had once a similar scenario with editing. So on the step had jira.issue.editable = false but could edit during a circular transition. You are sure you dont have that property in the transition as well?

0 votes
David Webber February 8, 2019

Does one stop comments being logged via email on issues with 'Resolved' status though?

Suggest an answer