Modify Card Layout on Business Projects

Cristina August 26, 2021

Hello,

I recently created a Business Project on Jira. I know it's possible to modify card layout on Scrum and Kanban boards but I'm unable to modify card layout on the Business board. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Thanks.

4 answers

4 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

You cannot edit the default business project boards. You might find this article useful though - Multiple-boards-in-Business-and-Team-Managed-Projects-You-bet-you-can! 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jason Dolan May 17, 2023

For Business Projects, given you cannot configure Boards or Cards to anywhere near the same level as Software Projects, I have fast come to the conclusion that Business Projects are not fit for purpose. It's extremely frustrating and disappointing to find this out after the fact rather than before for the following reasons. Not being able to convert a Business Project to the highly configuration Software Project means creating a Software Project and having to move the issues and recreate all the components from scratch. I then find out that if I create a new project and migrate my business issues to it, that new project cannot have the same key as the old project on Jira Cloud, even if I change the old project key before creating the new project. It's literally a comedy of errors. I'm happy to be disabused but was any thought given to the needs of the users here? It's unrealistic to expect a Jira admin to know all of the above before they create one project. I've been a Jira admin for 7 years and occasionally run into these limitations.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

Editorial ...

I believe that JWM projects certainly have their place and it seems that Atlassian is putting forth a lot of effort to improve the features of JWM projects. These projects seem to work very well for business activities, particularly centered around project, plans, and timelines. With that said, I certainly agree that they lack some configurability as compared to software projects. At the same time JWM projects have some nice features that don't exist in JSW projects.

It certainly can be challenging to fully appreciate the differences between the project types when first getting started. It would be great if there was a complete side-by-side feature comparison, but that might be rather complex to put together and more importantly, it would be outdated as soon as it is created, given, the frequent changes made in cloud.

Jason Dolan May 17, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to reply. At this stage, this is very much an Atlassian challenge to solve. Even if they had a scale of configurability between different project types, that would have helped here. Also, something is wrong when I have to create a Software type project for the business just to be able to configure cards and a board.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2023

You might want to click on the feedback link in the application and share your thoughts. My experience has been the PMs Monitor that feedback regularly.

Like John Funk likes this
Jason Dolan May 18, 2023

Thanks Jack for taking the time to reply. I've filled in feedback forms for Atlassian in the past with specifics but never heard anything and I've upvoted some very popular feature requests that have come to nought. I may take a look at the link but am not holding my breath due to the lack of previous engagement. Reciprocity is a key to many relationships.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Airbus Driver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2021

Unfortunately, Business project boards are not customizable. The way around this is to create a new board and then use a JQL filter that gets all issues from your Business Project. Once you've created a board, copy the URL of the board, navigate back to your Business Project and then click 'Add shortcut' from the left hand panel and add this URL.

Jason Dolan May 18, 2023

Thanks to you too for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it! I already created a new project and reused all my schemes so no drama. I find that there are so many workarounds to quirks that should be addressed. For example, it's impossible to restrict a field to a certain person or group. The workaround is to set the field to the view screen and only allow those that need to edit the field to do so via an edit screen on a particular workflow status for them alone. The workaround you've specified is clever - thank you - but I must confess that I am tired of such workarounds. If I knew that Business Project was so limited at the start, I never would have created it. Ironically, it's not strictly true that project keys cannot be reused on Jira Cloud. I have found an occasion where I can reuse it. Whereby I created a project with the wrong type (ie: Business) via the option to share config from another project and immediately delete that new project. If I want to reuse that just-deleted project's key, I found that I can.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2021

Hi Cristina - did this answer your question?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2023

Thinking @Cristina don't live here any more. 

Cristina May 24, 2023

@John Funk It did. Thanks to everyone!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders