Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Multiple boards in Business and Team Managed Projects? You bet you can!

One frustrating thing that many people have come across with their business projects as well as team manage projects (TMP) is that you can apparently only have a single board. And with business projects these boards are very basic and non-configurable. Many people want to use these projects but want the flexibility of the fully configurable boards.

I see this question all the time in the community and there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding that you can’t have a fully featured kanban or scrum board on these projects. However that is not the case. The below instructions will show you how you can add one (or more) of these fully configurable boards to these projects. It is worth noting that it is not the most ideal solution but it does work. At least today it does.😉

The crux of the solution is to use your profile as the Location for the board since a Business or TMP software project will not be an available option under Location.

1. create a filter that references the Business or TMP project and any desired conditions and save it
  2. go to all Boards view and select create board
  3. choose either Kanban or scrum
  4. select existing filter
  5. enter filter, name the board and for Location choose your profile (very bottom of list)
  6. save it
  7. board created. Copy the URL
  8. go to your TMP project and click +Add item and paste the URL into web address
  9. result - you have a link to your new board
  10. configure the board to share as desired and any other configuration options desired.

The one con here is that the board doesn’t naturally associate to your project and appear as “the” board for the project. It won’t replace the default board but rather is a separate board and clicking the link redirects away from the project screen. However it otherwise works fine.

another possible limitation associated with ‘personal scrum boards’ is the following issue (thanks to @Bill Sheboy a for the contribution) - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21584 

8 comments

Mohammed Amine Community Leader Jun 09, 2021

Amazing article

Thanks for the step-by-step, @Jack 

Another *possible* limitation/issue of this approach was in a recent community post: sprint event changes from the profile-located board may not trigger automation rules in the source projects.  My testing showed this mostly worked for sprint created and completed, so I suggested the poster contact support for assistance.  There is an open defect for Sprint Started Trigger Not Firing for Personal Boards.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/Jira-Automation-Multiple-Projects-Sprint-start-end-events-Rules/qaq-p/1678990

Best regards,

Bill

Jack Community Leader Jun 09, 2021

That is very interesting @Bill Sheboy a thanks for that. If you have a reference to that post I would like to review. The behavior is quite odd for sure.

My bad, @Jack as I mis-remembered the issue, which was sprint event-related.  I updated my post and added the link.

Thanks for keeping me honest.  ;^)

Jack Community Leader Jun 09, 2021

Awesome thanks! I’m going to add that issue to the article so folks don’t miss it.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Ajay Community Leader Jun 09, 2021

@Jack A very good read ... I was not aware of the trick to add boards under the profile. Now that I know will use it for my daily Scrum

Thanks for creating and sharing this article, Jack! Very helpful.

I have found additional limitation with this in how issues are displayed in the Backlog. I have not figured out if there are any work arounds for these issues.

In Team Managed projects issues don't use the Epic Link field, but rather store the parent Epic issue ID in the Parent field of an issue. In Company Managed projects, the Parent field is used for storing the issue ID for the parent of a Sub-task.

This causes oddities in the Backlog display.

1. Epic issues display in the backlog, in addition to displaying in the Epics pane.

2. Child issues of an Epic are not counted in the summary for the Epic displayed in the Epic Pane.

3. To see the child issues of an Epic in the Backlog list you have to expand the Epic, like you would expand an issue to see its Sub-tasks. And in the Backlog list the child issue is counted as a "sub-task" regardless of its issue type.

4. If you have an Epic with a child Story, and the Story  has a Sub-task, you won't be able to see that Sub-task in the backlog.

In the image below I have one Epic (TNS-4) with one child Story (TNS-3). That child Story (TNS-3) has a child Sub-task (TNS-9).

In the backlog list the Epic is listed and shown to have 1 sub-task. The Epic itself does not have any Sub-task issues, but has a child Story. That Story is treated like a sub-task in the list, and it does not appear in the Issue Count for the Epic in the Epic pane. I also can't expand that Story in the list to show its Sub-task.

I also have one Story (TNS-2) that is not a child of an Epic, and it has one sub-task (TNS-5).

For this Story I can expand it in the list to reveal its Sub-task, but only because the Story is not the child of an Epic.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 4.57.15 PM.png

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

319 views 9 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you