• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Make Team Field Required

We would like to base our scrum boards off of the Team field surfaced in Advanced Roadmaps. Currently there's no way to make the field required so things don't fall through the cracks. Is there a way to make this field required so we can group by team in roadmaps and make sure we're not missing anything? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Yes @Bishop Justice,

Just add a Fields Required validator to the create transition of the workflow associated with the issue type you are creating.

You can find out what workflow is behind your issues through Project Settings > Workflows.

When you edit that workflow:

1. Select the transition to the first status in your workflow
  2. Select Validators
  3. Click Add validator
  4. Select Fields Required Validator and select the Team field as your required field
  5. Publish the updated workflow

The result should look like this:

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 23.07.09.png

If you have multiple issue types and workflows, repeat the same configuration for the other workflows as well.

Thanks for the quick response Walter! I can give it a shot, but I'm concerned it might not work. I tried to use a workflow customization on the team field to copy values and Jira didn't recognize the field. Looks like the Team field doesn't function like most other fields for some reason

No worries, @Bishop Justice :-)

You are right about the Team field being somewhat special. The difference with what you did earlier is that a fields required validator does not manipulate data, it just checks whether anything was filled out or not. You just have to make sure that your users CAN select a team from the field, but since your question hints at making the field required, I assume that won't be an issue. The prerequisites are that the field is present on your issue create screen and that you use shared teams from advanced roadmaps (plan specific teams won't be visible in the field).

As a bonus, I have been struggling with the field myself. It is key to making Advanced Roadmaps work, so I have also looked at default values or automate the field being filled out. While the first is not possible, automation will do as long as your setup allows for decent condition checking. With the help of this awesome Community, I managed to get that in place as well - see this related question.

Nonetheless, it may be difficult to identify conditions that may be used to determine what issues go with each team automatically. And that case, making the field required is a very good step into data consistency! 

Great, thanks so much for the answer Walter! This should help to make sure the field is filled out for us. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

750 views 12 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you