Make Team Field Required

Bishop Justice November 23, 2020

We would like to base our scrum boards off of the Team field surfaced in Advanced Roadmaps. Currently there's no way to make the field required so things don't fall through the cracks. Is there a way to make this field required so we can group by team in roadmaps and make sure we're not missing anything? 

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2020

Yes @Bishop Justice,

Just add a Fields Required validator to the create transition of the workflow associated with the issue type you are creating.

You can find out what workflow is behind your issues through Project Settings > Workflows.

When you edit that workflow:

1. Select the transition to the first status in your workflow
  2. Select Validators
  3. Click Add validator
  4. Select Fields Required Validator and select the Team field as your required field
  5. Publish the updated workflow

The result should look like this:

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 23.07.09.png

If you have multiple issue types and workflows, repeat the same configuration for the other workflows as well.

Bishop Justice November 23, 2020

Thanks for the quick response Walter! I can give it a shot, but I'm concerned it might not work. I tried to use a workflow customization on the team field to copy values and Jira didn't recognize the field. Looks like the Team field doesn't function like most other fields for some reason

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2020

No worries, @Bishop Justice :-)

You are right about the Team field being somewhat special. The difference with what you did earlier is that a fields required validator does not manipulate data, it just checks whether anything was filled out or not. You just have to make sure that your users CAN select a team from the field, but since your question hints at making the field required, I assume that won't be an issue. The prerequisites are that the field is present on your issue create screen and that you use shared teams from advanced roadmaps (plan specific teams won't be visible in the field).

As a bonus, I have been struggling with the field myself. It is key to making Advanced Roadmaps work, so I have also looked at default values or automate the field being filled out. While the first is not possible, automation will do as long as your setup allows for decent condition checking. With the help of this awesome Community, I managed to get that in place as well - see this related question.

Nonetheless, it may be difficult to identify conditions that may be used to determine what issues go with each team automatically. And that case, making the field required is a very good step into data consistency! 

Bishop Justice November 24, 2020

Great, thanks so much for the answer Walter! This should help to make sure the field is filled out for us. 

Itamar Ben Sinai May 4, 2021

Hi,

The suggested solution does not work in the cloud, as the validator does not list the Advanced roadmaps Team field at all.

Still looking for a solution 

Like renu_chudamani likes this
Pablo Esteban Quiroga September 20, 2022

@itamar late to the party here, but it shows to me. Hope that you found a solution.

Like Eliyahu Klein likes this
0 votes
Jerilyn Edginton March 13, 2024

Hi all, old topic, I know, but it looks like you can finally add the validator for the Teams field. I did this but it broke my subtasks - it was requiring the Team field but then said the Team field can't be changed for subtasks. Anyone know how to resolve this? 

Jerilyn Edginton March 13, 2024

The issue seems to be that the field isn't copied over to the subtask from the parent until you actually click create and it is successful. But if you have a validator, then it fails on click of Create and never has the Teams field inherited. 

0 votes
Bassam Bsata November 6, 2023

This validator is bypassed if you're moving tickets across projects. You will end up having issues without Team

0 votes
Renee Lyons February 7, 2023

I recommend upvoting this feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-19458
Adding a workflow validator is not an efficient way to handle required fields.

0 votes
David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2021

For those who want to create issues in Advanced Roadmaps and use the workflow Validator to make a field required (i.e. Teams), please upvote this bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-19311?error=login_required&error_description=Login+required&state=4f548c0a-034f-44c6-b5a2-6609c3dab643

Sajin Antony August 25, 2022

Hello , I found a workaround to avoid the error "changes cannot be saved" 

• Select "Teams" from the drop down menu, add your shared teams to the plan.
  • Select field and make the team option to be visible. Now create Epics or tasks and assign team directly within the plan.                                                            Now after saving the changes the error will no longer appear. I think this workaround is the only one for projects consist of multiple teams and use validator to make the team field as required.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events