• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Default value for Team field when creating new issues

Associating issues to Teams is a crucial part to making advanced roadmaps work. As far as I can see, the best way to do so, is set up teams as shared teams as much as possible and then assign the team to an issue at issue creation.

In our setup, nearly all Jira projects are managed by a core team. The odd task may be assigned to a different team, but as this is more the exception than the rule, I would like to have a default value for the team (pre-populated if possible, filled out automatically if no team is selected otherwise).

However, it seems that the Team custom field is locked and does not allow for configuration changes. And the built-in automation does not support setting the team field - it is not available there.

I know I can make the Team field required upon issue creation, but would really like to help the user here by filling out data we already know in over 90% of the cases for him/her.

Looking for suggestions or workarounds.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Walter Buggenhout _ACA IT_ 

You do need to use a Shared Team, to make it available to set from a Jira issue.

I don't think you can pre-populate on the Create screen, but this is how I populated it during creation using Automation.

--------------

Preparation

You need to use the Team field's custom field ID, and the Team's ID during the rule.

To get the Team field's ID:

1. Go to Settings (cog icon in top-right) > Issues
  2. Select "Custom fields" from the left-hand menu
  3. Search for the Team field, then select the 3-dots icon on the right-hand side of the field's row and choose "View field information"
  4. Note down the custom field's ID from the URL - eg. customFieldId=10123

To get the Team ID:

1. Go to Filters > Advanced issue search
  2. Using JQL, enter Team then select the field (Team [Team])
  3. Enter =, then begin to type the name of the relevant Team
  4. Select the Team from the drop-down list, and its ID will be placed in the search bar in place of the name. Take a note of this ID - eg. "Team[Team]" = 5

You can also get the Team ID from a CSV export

--------------

Rule

Go to Automation, and choose to create a new rule. Set the components as follows:

• Trigger: Issue Created
  • Action: Edit Issue

In Edit Issue, select "More Options" then in the Additional Fields section enter:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10123":"5"

}
}

^ In this example, 10123 is the Team field's custom field ID, and 5 is the Team ID

Give the rule a name, then publish it.

--------------

This should set the Team field to the required option just after creation!

Ste

I have implemented and tested this successfully! Thx @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ - big consistency gain and major time saver!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

6,558 views 25 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you