Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Oliver Kinne August 5, 2019

Hello guys,

I'm having an issue with this error message in Jira Service Desk email connections:

Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

I checked all the suggestions at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-troubleshoot-issues-with-the-email-channel-973489501.html without any luck.

I'm trying to connect to an Office365 account, and I can log in directly myself when I use the email address and password - so I'm 99.99% certain that the login credentials are correct.

Is there anything else that could be wrong or that I'm missing?

Thank you,

Oliver.

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Hönes February 1, 2021

Hi Oliver,

did you found the root cause of the issue? How did you fix it?

I'm facing the same issue here.

Thanks and best regards

Mcihael

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2019

Oliver,

you reference an article for Jira Software but mention Jira Service Desk here. Can you clarify which application you are inquiring about? If JSD, realize you set up for email requests within the project > project settings > email requests. It is different than setting up incoming email handler in Jira SW.

Oliver Kinne August 5, 2019

Thank you Jack. Yes, I'm talking about Jira Service Desk. The email requests have been working fine, but the Office365 email password expired, so we changed it in Office365 and then applied it in Jira Service Desk as well, but not Jira Service Desk can't connect. As I say, manually checked the login details to make sure they're correct, by logging into Office365 successfully.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2019

Thanks. I would suggest removing and add back the email. I would also suggest disabling password expiration in outlook for this account.

Like benvindo.marial likes this

Suggest an answer