Jira SD access only to view issues and reporting

Dean B June 1, 2019

Hi there,

I am currently using a JIRA SD cloud version and a next-gen project.

We provide service to customers on behalf of multiple vendors (3rd Party). Now, one of the vendor would like to access (view only) the tickets raised by their customer and also generate reports from the Service desk dashboard.

My question is it possible to restrict the vendor access to only tickets where we have their name in the custom field we are using in the issue? Also, how they should have access to the reporting for only tickets raised by their customers.

We DO NOT want them to have access to any other customers, issues or reports we are working on for other vendors.

Thanks

Dean

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Hi Dean,

Currently, next-gen projects don't have issue security or permission scheme, so it's not possible to restrict this customer to see only some tickets.
If you use a classic project, you can add issue security to the tickets or follow this tutorial.
Related to the reports, only service desk agents can see, it means that if you add this customer as an agent, they will be able to see other private information on the project.

The best option, in this case, would be to create a separated project only for this customer and their company, so they can access the tickets and the reports without seeing information from other companies.

Regards,
Angélica

Dean B July 2, 2019

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

Moving further with this, I have now created a classic projects and also setup a separate project for each vendor so it is easier to manage the tickets. 

Now, one of the vendor has come back to us recently and requested the following,

1. Portal access to view all the issues we have been looking after for their customer on their behalf.

2. Raise a request directly from the portal if customers contacts them directly.

3. Reporting access to see how many issues we have resolved etc.

4. Add internal comments only in the issue for our team if customers have contacted them directly.

Questions,

1. Do I need to buy a service desk license to achieve all 4 above?

2. We have setup some custom fields for our internal team to update which we do not want this particular vendor to see it. How do we restrict their access to limited fields when they are viewing those issues?

Thanks

Dean

Dean B July 3, 2019

This is quite urgent, can you please come back to me asap?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2019

Hi Dean,

When you have a service desk project, automatically it will have a customer portal for them to create tickets.

1 - If this vendor is a customer, they will be able to see only the tickets they created and also tickets where they are a participant or if it's shared with the organization. They won't be able to see all the tickets in the project unless it's shared with them.

2 - As a customer, if they have access only to the customer portal, they can't create tickets on behalf of other customers, they will have to create the ticket and share with the customer.

3 - As a customer, they can't see reports, this is available only for licensed users (agents).

4 - Internal comments are restricted to agents, customers don't have this option on the customer portal.

About your questions:

1 - You already have a service desk, if you receive an error adding the default group to this vendor, then you will have to contact our customer advocates to check your license.

2 - If you give this vendor a license and add them to the project, they will see all the fields, it's not possible to restrict that.

Regards,
Angélica

Dean B July 3, 2019

I have tried the customer option but the limitation with that is they can change the view of the columns for the tickets logged by them and the search functionality is not great either.

I was hoping to add them as a licensed user (agent) but then restrict their permissions for the project and restrict the fields they see using the issue security. Is that not possible?

Dean B July 4, 2019

Is there any update Angelica?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 4, 2019

The issue security will protect the issues only, for example, when there are many tickets in a project and you need to share only one ticket with a specific person, or some tickets contain sensitive information about some user and only administrators may have access, so you can restrict it to groups. 
So, if this vendor checks some ticket they will be able to see all the fields that were added to that project or ticket.

Dean B July 7, 2019

So there is no third-party plugin available for cloud which provide a field security schemes?

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2019

Hello Dean,

Currently, there is no marketplace app for field security schemes within Jira cloud. Here is a preset search for Atlassian Marketplace | Field Security for Jira Service Desk Cloud.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer