Issue is not showing in sprint

Sascha Schroer October 16, 2019

Hello.

I'm new here and therefore hello to everybody and thank's in advance for any help. I appreciate it :-)

Here my question: I have some issues in my backlog which will not appear in the assigned sprint. If I use for example the right click contex menu ("Send to") on one of those issues and assign it to the sprint it appears in that view in the sprint. BUT if I reload the page the issue is in the backlog again. Although the Issue has the sprint assignment in the details.

In the screenshot you can see, that the issue is assigned to the sprint "Sebulba". But it is not shown there in the sprint on the board. Instead it appears still in the backlog.

jira_issue_is_not_showing_in_sprint_small.jpg

That is very strange - since this occurs the first time and only with a couple  of issues.

I read some of the "sprint is not showing in ..." questions and checked some of the hints. But it looks all fine to me.

I compared those issues with other issues which are showing up in the sprint as expected and I can't see a difference.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sascha

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2019
1 vote
Srikanth Ganipisetty September 13, 2023

We are seeing these issues in the latest versions  v9.5.1 as well, and are we able to find the resolution for this? Unable to find our issues on both sprint and backlog, but was able to find the results when we ran the board filter query on the JQL and on each issue, we were able to see the sprint details where the issues are not appearing in the backlog and board

@Sascha Schroer  @Vickey Palzor Lepcha 

Thanks,

Srikanth Ganipisetty

Katherine Lisman December 7, 2023

We are seeing this issue in the server edition 2.0.291. 

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2019

And it looks like this has reoccurred in many new/higher versions too despite fix in 7.2.1 .

If yours is also the case, I'd recommend raising a support ticket and logging your case too though it seems to have been reported already by many.

Yes it looks exactly like the bug described in: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Issues-moved-from-backlog-to-sprint-return-to-backlog-after-page/qaq-p/687353 

We are running version 7.2.3

jira_version_info.jpg

I will inform our JIRA team, that they open a support ticket.

Many thanks for your help :-)

Have a nice day.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

You as well Sascha - your organization needs a JIRA upgrade to atleast 7.2.7 for now if not higher.

Safest bet for you is to move to 7.2.7 as it seems to be fixed at least in that version BUT reoccurring in higher versions.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

Check your JIRA Version - it should be resolved if you are running JIRA 7.2.7 and above.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

Did you check the filter of the board ? Maybe your issue does not satisfy your board filter requirement so it goes back to backlog.

Hello, @Vickey Palzor Lepcha 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have checked the filter settings:

jira_board_filter_settings.jpg

At the first glance there is nothing unusal.

Or do you see somthing odd?

Cheers

-- Sascha

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

Can you click on EDIT FILTER QUERY and show us what it contains ?

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

We might want to validate that the filter query includes that particular issue which isn't visible in the board .

Yes-  sure:

jira_board_filter.jpg

Text:

project = ORCHIT ORDER BY Rank ASC

If I change the order form ASC to DESC then the issue which is not showing up in the sprint is shown in the list:

jira_board_filter_with_missing_issue.jpg

Edit: (The issue is of course also shown with "ASC" - but  in the last page. I changed the order to DESC only to Show the issue more easily.)

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

oh I think I misunderstood you ;

You mean you added an issue to a sprint using right click from backlog - sprint details show up in the issue details but you find it back in the backlog instead of the sprint - is that right ?

Yes. That's right. The issue (and a couple more) refuses to show up in the sprint. This is also true if I drag and drop the issue in the sprint are assign the issue to the sprint by editing the issue details.

What is really odd: if I use the right click method, it appears in the sprint in that view. But if I reload the browser window or open the board in another tab the issue is shown again in the backlog although the assignment in the details is still there.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

Hey Sascha,

Can you give me a view of your Project backlog ?

This is a very strange issue you know - did you try logging out and signing back in to your JIRA ?

Also a good clean up of your browser cache ?

Hey Vickey.

I restarted my Browser and deleted the cache. The issue appears still in the backlog dispite it's assigned to the sprint.

Browserversion:

Microsoft Edge 41.16299.820.0

Microsoft EdgeHTML 16.16299

Here is a partial view of the backlog. The marked two issues have the same behaviour as the one with the id ORCHIT-518 I'm talking about. This one is on the top of the backlog. If I move it up in the backlog the assignment to the sprint is removed as expected.

jira_backlog_view.jpg

If I move that issue again to the sprint I get a success message and it appears in the sprint. But as before - after a reload of the page it shows up on the bottom of the backlog. (With the assigned sprint in the issue details)

To make the odd behaviour more clear I have added the Sprintname to the card layout in the backlog:

jira_backlog_with_sprintnames.jpg

As you can see the two issues in the backlog have the assigned sprint "Sebulba" but the appear still in the backlog and not in the sprint above.

Suggest an answer