Is there a way to create a Release Burndown chart using a custom field instead of estimates?

Chedva Haber September 4, 2019

We use story points instead of hours and I would like to see the Release Burndown, but Jira is showing an error that it needs estimates in order to create the chart. Any ideas of how to get around this? Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2019

Chedva,

This is a generic warning. What it means is that you haven't provided any estimates of the type it expects.

Two things:

1) Make sure you've configured your board to use Story Points as the estimation statistic. The linked instructions work for both Cloud and Server.

2) Make sure you are viewing the version you want, and you've provided story point estimates for those tickets. If you haven't provided story points to any of the tickets in the version you are currently viewing it will also throw this error.

Please let me know if you require additional help.

Thanks!

Kian

Chedva Haber September 4, 2019

That was very helpful! It didn't solve my issue, but I will update with a new question when I figure out what might be the cause. Thank you!

0 votes
Yevhen Rohovets
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2019

Hi, out of the box you cannot create Release Burndown report with custom data. 

But, you can create a dashboard with two-dimensional statistic gadget. Please check this topic

Also, for good understanding of how works Release Burndown chart, you can read this article. It is pretty big, but really useful)

Chedva Haber September 5, 2019

Thanks, I have a few two-dimensional gadgets. Do you know if there is a way to combine them or to create a more complex version without installing anything extra? Thank you!

Suggest an answer