How to stop showing previews in Slack?

Paul June 16, 2020

Every time I post a link to a JIRA issue in Slack, the JIRA bot will unfurl (show) a preview of that task. These previews pollute the conversation and I'd like to turn them off. How can I turn these previews off, just for me or better yet for the entire team (I'm Slack and JIRA admin)?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Seth Gholson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2020

Hi, Paul. You can disable unfurling on a per-channel basis with the command `/jira unfurl`.

Our team really loves this feature for providing a little more context about the linked or mentioned issue. Of course, not all teams are the same! If you have any ideas around how unfurling might be beneficial to you and your team, please send us some feedback via `/jira feedback`.

Thanks!

Seth Gholson
Engineering Manager, Product Integrations 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2020

@Seth Gholson is there a similar function that you know of in MS Teams? I just saw a question a few minutes ago, and would love it if there were - we use Teams and it's kind of a pain; most of us would rather just click through to the ticket.

Paul June 16, 2020

@Seth Gholson thank you, but unfortunately that doesn't work - executing /jira unfurl on many of the channels leads to "Sorry, but I can't post notifications inside this private channel unless you /invite @Jira" or "We only have partial support for slash commands in DM. We are unable to set up subscriptions for notifications into DMs that the Jira bot is not a part of."

Many of these channels we can not add JIRA bot to for security reasons.

For any other (non-JIRA) link, when I click the little X that appears next to the URL preview, Slack shows me the option to disable any further previews from that site (see screenshot) - but not for JIRA. How do I stop these? These previews might work for you, but they are truly a pain for us...

Thank you.

slack-preview.png

Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2020

Hi @Paul

The way that Slack handles unfurls with integrations is a bit unique, so you won't see an option to turn off unfurls for all Jira attachments from Slack as far as I know. It may though, and I'd recommend checking out some of their options from their documentation like here: https://slack.com/help/articles/360001502048-Manage-link-previews-for-your-workspace

Unfortunately, we don't have a way to turn off unfurling across Slack workspaces. The solution Seth provided is only valid if the Jira bot is in the channel, which doesn't fit your use case of private channels. So we've missed a bit on our ability to provide that functionality to you.

We'll add this to our backlog of feature requests (feel free to open a public issue on jira.atlassian.com in the API project as well) to be able to turn off unfurling both site wide and when the bot isn't in the channel.

Sorry we weren't able to help you today - I'm hoping maybe the Slack setting can help.

Trevor Thompson
Product Manager

Paul June 17, 2020

@Trevor Thompson thank you for writing. I asked Slack support. They say: "the unfurling is being done by the Jira app. Given this, if you want it turned off across the entire workspace, you'll need to check to see if Atlassian provides a setting to opt-of unfurling."

So it sounds like either you guys enable it or we are stuck with the forced previews...

Like Ale Prieto likes this
Rogelio Kobashi March 11, 2021

`/jira unfurl` worked for me, weird that command is not listed as part of the app

nikhilc August 3, 2021

Is there a global disable for this instead of disabling this per app.

we like all other functionalities of the Jira app and have implemented our own unfurl for Jira app so we want to disable only the unfurl from Jira Cloud slack app.

Disabling this per channel and chat is cumbersome. A global option to disable it throughout will be much better. 

Like Ian Peters likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events