How to set up custom transition for statuses?

Vahan Alaverdyan December 10, 2021

Dear Community, 

Some of my teammates struggle to remember to log in their work logs before transitioning the issue from "In Progress" to "Review/Done". I would like to set up a reminder trigger. The trigger should pop up a message asking to log the worked hours and once the hour is logged the user will be able to transition the status. What I need is that the system will allow them to transition the issue to a new status by popping up a reminder to enter the work log hours. And unless they do it, the issue will not transition.  

Could you guide me on how to do it? 

Thank you,
Vahan 

2 answers

1 vote
Ankit Srivastava
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2021

Hi @Vahan Alaverdyan ,

Please refer the below document:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/make-custom-fields-required-in-a-workflow-transition-in-jira-server-691011903.html 

Select the field (Time Spent) that you want to make required for the transition.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Ankit Srivastava

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

Assuming you are using CMP, have you considered using a Condition or Validator?

Vahan Alaverdyan December 10, 2021

Could you show me how? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

There are a number of posts in the community that discuss the options. here is one discussion you might find useful - Adding-the-Time-tracking-screen-during-ticket-transition .

The  path forward depends on your situation. For example if your goal is to prevent the transition if the time Spent is is empty the a Condition would work. On the other hand, if you want to require Time spent to be updated at the time of transition then a Validator is the way to go. However, consider this scenario - a user updates Time spent and the transitions the issue only to experience the need to update field again. What do the enter? Maybe 1min so as not to skew the data?

If you are unfamiliar with editing the workflow…

1. project settings 
  2. workflows
  3. locate the workflow associated with the issue type in question and edit
  4. click on the transition to ‘done’ and from there you can select Condition or Validator 

I would suggest saving the original workflow so you can revert. You may even wish to use a test project to play with this first.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events