How to make a release roadmap dashboard??

Admin June 18, 2019

I want to make a dashboard that shows my stakeholders what releases are coming up and what issues are in each release.

I was imagining a simple timeline that showed each release along with the major issues that are associated to that release. For example:

Release 1 - 18/06/19.

Story A. 

Story B. 

Story C.

Release 2 - 18/07/19.

Story X. 

Story Y. 

Story Z.

Of course I have created my releases and associated my backlog items with releases. What I can't find is elegant way of automatically generating a visualization.

What I am doing now is using a filter gadget to show the contents of each release. I have one gadget per release. This gives me contents of each release but not the dates of the releases. It also doesn't really look much like a timeline.

Can anyone suggest anything? I don't mind paying for a plugin if it does the job.

5 answers

2 votes
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2020

Hi @Admin

You use case sounds very similar to the Swiss Re's case study I documented in this Atlassian Community article:

Jira Release Management: How to build and share Release Plans in Jira and Confluence 

On the Golive Timeline, you are able to define specific Calendars to show your Stories, Epics or any othe Jira issues, for the moment they have at least one date defined. It is also possible to display events that are not Jira issues.

There are also Timeline Gadgets for Jira and Confluence.

Let me know if you want more info, I will be happy to organize a quick demo so that we can check together if the app meets your needs.

Cheers,

David

2 votes
Tomislav Sulc February 21, 2020

This would be really helpful for managing releases. Are there any solutions for this in 2020?

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2020

If you're willing to consider Jira app then we developed a plugin for Jira Cloud that allows you to show releases from multiple projects on the timeline, you can quickly access release detail to see more information and there is also the list view of upcoming releases and their progress.

Hero 1.jpg

You can check our marketplace listing here 👉 https://marketplace.atlassian.com/release-management 

I hope that helps,

Nikki :)

Angela Volo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

Can I create the timeline view and the related list in a dashboard to share with colleagues?

1 vote
Daniel Deng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2019

Hi Gareth

I don't see a way to implement release timeline report by Jira out-of-box, but as you said, a few plugins do support it.

If you are looking for a Gant-look report, you may try BigPicture https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212259/bigpicture-project-management-ppm?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It allows you to display releases as Gant timeline with issues in the release as children in the Gant.

If your stakeholders prefer pure Agile reports, the Gant may not be something they like, but Release report or Release burndown may be more approporiate.

Admin June 18, 2019

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

Indeed it wasn't a Gant style that I was really looking for, more a simpler roadmap style.

I will take a look at Big Picture and see if I can make that work.

0 votes
Yuri Kudin July 1, 2020

Hi,

I would suggest you to consider one more Add which might solve your needs: Release management for Jira.

In the release management you can see release/version status, content and progress. The data could be visualized as a Timeline, Kanban board and Gadgets. Also, you are able to automate generation of the release notes and use them to provide details to the management in pretty format.

Gadgets.jpg

release Notes Issues2.jpg

The add is available for Data Center and Cloud:

Thanks,

Yuri

0 votes
Rick van Twillert (TMC) June 19, 2019

Hi Gareth,

Please also have a look at your project's Release Hub: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0713/checking-the-release-status-of-a-version-965542559.html

It doesn't show a roadmap/timeline style overview, but might give some insights without a lot of effort/cost.

Suggest an answer