How can cloning of issues be controlled at a user and / or project level ?

Matthew Doughty May 17, 2021

Hello,

a project manager has asked me can we configure our Jira cloud, so that users cannot clone issues within their project ?  It seems the users are cloning but then not correctly maintaining the various field values on the new Jiras ... making it hard work for the PM to track & report on all their issues accurately.

Can you tell me how I can control cloning ?  Is it possible at a user or project level ?  Would appreciate any help offered plus examples.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

On Cloud, there's only one way to control cloning - you can flag a step in a workflow with "jira.permission.create.clone = denied" - this will stop everyone having the clone function when an issue is at a particular place in its workflow (you can, of course, add it to every step, which would disable clone completely for the issues using that workflow)

Matthew Doughty May 20, 2021

Hi Nic,

I have applied your suggestion on one of our key status for the specific workflow but I can still create a clone.  Deny clone trial 1.png

I have inserted a screen shot of what I have created.  Have I got the syntax correct and / or there any other steps I need to take ?

Thanks in advance,

matt

Like Josh Kronick likes this
Nemil Sanghrajka February 21, 2023

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I am experiencing the same issues as Matthew. 

As you can see in the attached screenshot, the property you have mentioned doesn't restrcit clonning of issue. I am using Jira Service Management (Cloud) which I believe should have the same properties as Jira Software (Cloud).

Also, do I need to add this property to all the statuses for "Clone" option to disappear from the "Actions" tab? or adding it to specific status would siffuce to make it disappear at least for that specific status?

Thanks in Advance

Nemil

Screenshot 2023-02-17 110455.png

Like Josh Kronick likes this
Josh Kronick December 7, 2023

enter the property key of jira.permission.create.clone.denied and leave the property value blank. 

(I believe that should work, you may need to set the Property Value to true)

Bonnie Lopes January 18, 2024

the following options did not work in Jira Cloud:

jira.permission.create.clone.denied value: true

jira.permission.create.clone.denied value: left blank

jira.permission.create.clone value: denied

the following option is what works in Jira Software Server:  

jira.permission.create.clone.denied value: true

Bonnie Lopes January 18, 2024

what did work in Jira cloud is:

jira.permission.createclone.denied value: true

note the subtle difference as there is no dot between create and clone

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

Hi @Matthew Doughty welcome to the Atlassian community.

Please be informed, in order to restrict the cloning access, the role should be a Jira admin.

Please check these links that would give you specific step and details:

Restrict issue cloning 

Disable clone issue in Jira 

Prevent users from cloning issues 

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin