how to restrict issue cloning per project in jira??

i've already set up permissions to only allow issue linking, which brings "is a cloner of / is cloned by" to developers role

so far so good.

the issue can still be cloned just by selecting "Clone" from the More Actions tab

this is really annoying cause some users here are way too lazy to create a new issue from scratch...they simply clone a resolved one...

8 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

You can't disable just "cloning" by workflow properties because there is no separate permission for cloning. It looks for create permission.

You can't do it on a project by project basis unless you do some coding. i.e. add a condition to the respective web-item in system-issueoperations-plugin.xml.

Or maybe disable the system plugin and define an isue operation in your plugin along with the condition. You can make use of existing classes and jsp files.

hmm well.

so what is the best approach to restrict "Clone" from "More Actions" or can it be removed from there?

nice...i just disabled "View Issue Ops Bar Clone Link"

from system issue operations...

thats enough.

Thanks Jobin

Hi Faysal,

Can you please give detailed steps on to disable View Issue Ops Bar Clone Link

Hi Bob,

Thanks for quick reply. Looks like onDemand we can't disable clone function.

That is an admin function, so only Atlassian can touch that for OnDemand.

Hi Bob,

Can we disable this on local jira instance and without having plugin

Yes, on a download instance, the administrator can disable the shipped clone operation following the instructions.You only need the plugin if you want to replace it with clone operations can be restricted or customized on a project by project basis if that is your need.

Bob, can you please point to instructions

How to use clone properties for customization and there is a specific exampe of configuration for a project specific restriction

I have tried this in workflow step's properties -->

jira.permission.create.clone = denied

Its working for me without restricting sub-task creation (took ref from here)

Dhananjay Kale,

I want to deny cloning only in a specific project in jira. Is this possible in this way?

Yes. But need to make sure that workflow is not shared between the projects.

Yes- different workflow!

where should I define this sentence?

(jira.permission.create.clone = denied)

and where should I add the project's name?

where can I find the workflow steps properties?

Edit the workflow, look at the status on the workflow, there is a properties panel

great- found it!

and should I put the "(jira.permission.create.clone = denied)"

in the Property key or in the Value key?

Both.  We use the = as a separator here because it's quicker than a screen shot and just as easy to explain.  The string on the left is the property, the one on the right, the value.

thank you very very much!

I will try it!

i tried setting some properties per issue state...

such as "jira.permission.clone=false" or "jira.permission.link=false"

no effect...

what am i missing?

Sounds like you have an answer for your situation. For others, the Clone Plus Plugin for JIRA has a number of customization options which would allow restricting cloning to specific projects. More over, providing project specific clone options to fit better user needs. More info: How to customize

No need for more expensive addons. Just adding the property jira.permission.create.clone.denied to every status in the workflow seems to do the trick just fine.

David Skreiner

I want to deny cloning only in a specific project in jira. Is this possible in this way?

Yes, DJ it worked for me too.

DJ`s solution working... jira.permission.create.clone = denied

We have similar issues with cloning In a couple of projects.  Users clone an issue, but then do not have edit permissions to modify key details.  We have good reasons for not granting edit permissions in those projects and we expect our users to "remember" that they should not clone in those projects.

I understand that clone would not be permitted if we remove the "create issues" permission, but we do want our users to be able to create new issues in those projects.

Would it be possible to make the "clone" action depend on both "create issues" and "edit issues" permissions?  

That would solve most of our problem with regards to cloning.

Thank you,

Aaron

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,269 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot