Can I prevent users from cloning issues on a specific project?

Mohamed Alaoui December 8, 2017

I am building a project which will be used internally for Code Releases i.e. this will not be a typical Software Development project. I want to prevent users from cloning issues, is it possible to do this for this project only?

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2017

You can potentially do it by applying this property to all workflow steps used by the project:

jira.permission.create.clone.denied

Ensure the workflows in which you add this property are not used by any other projects; otherwise the clonation would be forbidden in other projects too.

Mohamed Alaoui May 16, 2018

This does work and must be applied to all statuses on that workflow. Luckily, in my case, this was a small project that was using it's own workflow so this worked perfectly.

Thanks
Mo

Like Karoline Rezende Ramos likes this
PS May 20, 2020

Hi @Ignacio Pulgar

In my software project, we have given access to 'Anyone' to create issues. If I need to restrict 'clone' option to 'Anyone'. What should I enter in Property.

Please suggest

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2020

Hi @Sreekala Dande ,

For not allowing the creation of clones to Anyone, you need to add a property which allows the creation of clones just to users with either a role in the project, or a jira group.

Probably, your use case should be better covered with roles, so this is the property you need to add on all statuses of your workflow, specially the initial status (please, see JRASERVER-62200 for more info on this subject).

jira.permission.createclone.projectrole = 10300

Where 10300 is the id of the project role you would like to retain the ability to clone issues.

As far as I've tested, both createclone and create.clone are valid and equivalent syntaxes.

You may find the id of a given project role in the URL shown after clicking on its Edit link, on the Project Roles Browser.

First, go to https://YOUR_JIRA_BASE_URL/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa

edit-project-role.PNG

Click on Edit and see the id of a project role, in example Administrators:

project-role-id.PNG

As you are likely to need to enable the creation of cloned issues to more than one project role, then you will need to add a numerical suffix at the end to make each property unique, like this:

createclone.PNG

You may also learn more about the usage of workflow properties by visiting this article.

Hope it helps.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Tim Jedlicka January 13, 2023

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-restrict-issue-cloning-in-jira-1087510102.html does a very good job of describing why this is a hack (and why "createclone" and "create.clone" and in fact "create.foo.bar" all "work" the same).

Apparently Atlassian acknowledges this method is a hack and apparently has no intention of adding a feature to officially restrict cloning of issues.

1 vote
SCK March 16, 2022

The key used here, jira.permission.create.clone.denied, is invalid, and JIRA is just throwing a valid error:

Unknown type 'clone' in meta attribute 'jira.permission.create.clone.denied'. Valid permission types are defined in permission-types.xml

Using the right key, jira.permission.createclone.denied, the problem shouldn't happen.

As stated in bug 59487

0 votes
Robin Surland December 8, 2017

You can take away rights for them to create issues, but cloning is not an available action to be controlled in permission schemes. 

Suggest an answer