How can I use a Kanban bord for a Jira Service desk project?

Martine Costamagna March 23, 2023

Using Jira Cloud, I cannot find a way to create a Kanban board to follow up the Jira Service desk project we are using.
Only a series of pre-made lists is available: they are useful but not quite what we need for our day-to-day follow up.

I have read some about some way to do it by linking a Service Desk project to a classic Jira project in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Kanban-for-the-service-desk/qaq-p/1524847

Do I need a plug-in to do that? 

Thank you for helping me :-) 

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hi Martine,

Here is an article that will walk you through the steps of creating a board for JSM projects. It references JWM and Team-managed projects, but the process also applies to JSM. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Creating-a-Second-Agile-Board-for-Team-Managed-or-JIra-Work/ba-p/2115018

Martine Costamagna March 24, 2023

Thank you very much for helping me! The article is great.

Like John Funk likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

No, no app is needed, you just need Jira Software licenses and a Software project. Then you can create a Kanban board in that project that is only selecting issues from your JSM project.

Thank you very much for your help!

Like John Funk likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2023

Hello @Martine Costamagna 

If you Service Management project is a Company Managed project:

1. Go to the Boards page:

https://<your URL>/jira/boards?contains=

2. Click the Create Board button in the upper right.

3. Select Create A Kanban board.

4. Click the radio button for Board From an Existing Project.

5. In the Projects pull down, find your Service Management project.

6. For Location you will not be able to pick the Service Management project because they don't have a Boards pull down like you see in Software projects. You can attach it to yourself or to a Software project.

7. Give the board a name

8. Click the Create Board button.

If your Service Management project is a Team Managed project then you have to create a Saved Filter for your project. Then at step 4 above you would select the button for From A Saved Filter, and in step 5 you would select the saved filter.

Martine Costamagna March 23, 2023

Thank you very much Trudy, let me try that and I'll come back to you.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2023

As Mikael mentioned, boards are a feature of Jira Software, so you do need to have the Jira Software product available and have a license for it also.

Trudy, 
I followed the step you described and got my board without a hitch.
Thanks a lot for helping me!!!
:-))

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events