Creating a Second Agile Board for Team-Managed or JIra Work Management Projects

We all know that boards can be one of the most empowering ways our users interact with Jira projects. The ease of dragging and dropping cards from column to column provides a smooth and effortless transition of issues. 

But, let's face it, those built-in boards for Team-managed projects and Jira Work Management projects (both Team-managed and Company-managed) can be very limiting when we need something more robust or flexible for board interaction. 

And what about Jira Service Management projects? Well, they don't even have a built-in board!

Are we just stuck with that as our only solution? No! You can actually create a Jira Software board that can be used with each of those projects above. So, how do we get started?

The following guide specifically mentions JWM projects, but you can sub out the name for Team-managed or JWM. 

1. Create a New Filter

You will need to create a filter for the JWM project, something like Project = ABC ORDER by Rank ASC where ABC is the project key for your JWM project. Be sure to save the filter and share it. Or you can use an existing filter if one exists with the same issues in it.

2. Go to your list of boards (https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/jira/boards) and click on Create board

3. Choose either Kanban or Scrum

4. Choose create based on an existing Filter.

5. Then attach it to the new filter you just created.

6. Set the Location Field.

For the Location field, you will not be able to use a Team-managed, Business, or JSM Project - only Classic Software projects. Or you can link to your profile - probably best in this case. But this will not keep the new board from working - it really only cares about the project(s) in the filter.

Then you are all set. You can modify the board as you need to.

One side note - you will not be able to click on the Board option as normal for the project as that will take you to the built-in board. You will need add a shortcut on the left side menu and include a link to the new board. 

If you have questions or comments - be sure to post them here!

8 comments

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2022

Very cool solution!  Adding these to your profile is something that I don't think alot of people realize is doable.  Thanks for the insights! 

Like # people like this
Adebayo Banjo October 6, 2022

Hello John,

Thanks for the solution. Is there any way i can pick another user when who is the lead when saving the profile in the location section and not me?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

Hi @Adebayo Banjo  - No, unfortunately, it is just your own profile that can be used. But you can try to have the other user change the location to their profile. Just make sure you add them as a board administrator first. 

Like Péter Szertics likes this

@John Funk thank you, i created a new board and added the JSW project via the filter. thank you

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

Great! Hope that works out for you!

@John Funk yes it works, thank you

Karen October 20, 2023

When I try to add the Team Managed Project tasks to my existing JSW scrum board they do not show.  I can see them in the filter search and the Team Managed Project is added to the list of Projects on the JSW board, but they do not show in backlog. 

@John Funk 

Is this a board config issue?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2024

@Karen - Probably so. I should have been more clear in the article that it's really designed for Kanban boards and not Scrum boards. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events