How can I create a new board for an existing software project?

Peter Arbaugh September 16, 2022

Hi all, I'm trying to create a new board for an existing project. I only have 2 projects on this account and they are both Team-managed software projects.

CleanShot 2022-09-16 at 15.41.20.png

My current steps:

1. Go to Boards (/jira/boards)
  2. Click "New Board"
  3. Select "Create a kanban board"
  4. Select "Board from existing project"
  5. Enter board name.
  6. Start to type in project name. "No matches found" will appear in the dropdown. When I type in the name of a project, I can see an error that my project name is invalid.

CleanShot 2022-09-16 at 15.34.17.png

It also looks like there are some ajax errors in the console as I start to type and Jira tries to look up my projects. 

ajax[56051746] error : {
successful : false,
statusText : abort,
hasData : false,
readyState : 0,
requestId : 56051746,
aborted : true,
}

This seems like a Jira problem and not a me problem, but I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to make this work. Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hello @Peter Arbaugh 

Welcome to the community.

To create an additional board for the Team Managed project you will need to create and save a filter that gets the issues for that project. Then you can make the board based on a Saved Filter.

Technically Team Managed projects do not support more than one board. The board that you create this way will function like the boards that are for Company Managed projects. Because the architecture of Company and Team Managed projects is different, this board you create will not function the same way your original board on the Team Managed projects functions.

For more information on this topic refer to this article and read through the comments for information on how the functionality differs.

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hi @Peter Arbaugh,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

At the moment team-managed projects only support a single board, in order to create more then one board in a project you have to use a company-managed project. 

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

Hi Peter - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Here's an article that I wrote recently on how to create a second board. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Creating-a-Second-Agile-Board-for-Team-Managed-or-JIra-Work/ba-p/2115018

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events