Filtering by Epic

james_foley May 16, 2023

I have created a new project board, comprising around 10 epics. These Epics all appear on the roadmap, and were created by selecting the + button from the Roadmap page so I know they are epics and really do exist. They have names such as "Epic 1", "Epic 2" etc.

Under each epic I have a large number of user stories, and under these several tasks.

I now wish to filter my issues list so that I can see all issues (stories, tasks, sub-tasks) for each Epic. However, when I try to filter on the name of the Epic is says it doesn't exist. I've tried using the name of the Epic, and/or the Issue ID and in both cases it says that it doesn't exist and I can't filter.

I become even more baffled, since when I export ALL FIELDS to CSV, the Epic name for all these issues is again blank. Yet they're clearly not blank as they all appear on the Roadmap screen.

I can filter on Parent where the Parent ID is the ID of the Epic. However, this only gives me the stories that roll up to this Epic ID, and not the tasks or sub-tasks.

What am I doing wrong?  I've searched the board and can't find an adequate solution to this, so would appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2023

Hi @james_foley

just checking, are you on a company-managed or a team-managed project? You can see this at the bottom of your project sidebar. Asking because epic/story relationships are implemented differently between these two project types. If this is a company-managed project, I really don't know why "Epic Link" = "Epic 2" wouldn't work - it does on my machine - but I could imagine that it is somehow related to this change.

On the point of getting all tasks and sub-tasks of your epics... this, unfortunately, is more tricky than one would think; it would really require some kind of "hierarchical query", which isn't supported in "plain" JQL. Kindly check out e.g. this question for ways forward.

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hello @james_foley 

The Epic name of your issues is non empty ? Can you join a screen from your filter ?

james_foley May 16, 2023

Thanks for taking a look and your reply. Not sure what you mean though. I'm in the Issues list and trying to filter all issues by specific Epics. Whenever I type the name (or ID) of the Epic it returns no issues. Furthermore, when I export ALL records, and ALL fields to CSV, the 'Epic Name' field is empty. It's as if the system doesn't recognise the Epic name.

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Yes to filter issues from an Epic you have to filter on the Epic Link.

Try "Epic Link" = Epic 2  and tell me if it worked

james_foley May 16, 2023

No - sadly not. I tried Epic 2 in quotes and not in quotes and just get the reply 

"No issues have a parent epic with key or name 'Epic 2' "

That's just not the case.   We find Jira immensely frustrating and buggy. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events