Show tasks of Epic in a project in JQL query

Mikk Mihkel Nurges March 24, 2023

I'm trying to create a board, which shows Epics of this board along with all tasks under the Epic, even if the tasks might be in other projects.

I've tried something like:

project = ABC OR parentEpic[project] = ABC

But I think I cannot find the correct syntax.

I couldn't find a solution anywhere - is this even possible?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Mikk Mihkel Nurges

unfortunately, this is a tricky one; as a "hierarchical query", it would really require some kind of "join" or "subquery", which isn't available in "plain" JQL. To the best of my knowledge, you'll need extra tooling for this. 

A few directions forward:

• You should be able to use Jira Automation to "propagate" an epic's project down to the epic's children, and then use the respective field on the children to include them into your filter.
  • There's different apps from the Atlassian Marketplace that can help with that. First, there's a number of apps that extend JQL by additional functions, including hierarchy-related functions. I've used JQL Search Extensions a few times and it works great.
  • Alternatively, you could try one of the more hierarchy-focused apps from the Marketplace. These apps typically have their own ways of figuring out parent/child relationships between issues, and provide more powerful ways to define issue hierarchies. I myself work on such an app, in which your use case would be easy to solve - I'll provide more details below. The downside is that these apps all come with their own views, so you couldn't utilise them in the board view itself, but rather use them as alternatives to the board view.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 24, 2023

Just to expand on the last point, this is how this would look in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira. Put simply, you'd pull in your relevant epics, as well as any potential issues from the other project, enable the default hierarchy (that's just one click), and hide any issues that are outside of your hierarchy (that's another 2 clicks):

epics-with-children-from-different-project.gif

Once you have your list of issues, you can work on these directly in JXL (much like you'd do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets), trigger various operations in Jira, or export them for further processing.

Of course, this view isn't the boardbut depending on your use case, you may be able to get your work done here, too. 

Any questions just let me know!

Like Mikk Mihkel Nurges likes this

Thanks! The Automation will not work, because I need the child-tasks to be on different projects. I will start by checking out the JQL extension plugins.

Marketplace Partner
March 24, 2023

The Automation will not work, because I need the child-tasks to be on different projects.

That shouldn't be a blocker though, or am I missing something? I'd imagine a field "Parent epic project" on the children, into which an automation rule would write the epic's current project. So a story itself could be in "PROJ A", and it's "Parent epic project" field could say "PROJ B". 

... but of course, this is far from an elegant solution. I also tend to believe that a Marketplace app is the way to go for you.

Best,

- H

Like Mikk Mihkel Nurges likes this

Thanks, I got it to work perfectly with the JQL Search Extensions addon.

1 vote
Pasam Venkateshwarrao
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Mikk Mihkel Nurges 

As i tried with Structure Addon it is showing tasks under epics.i Hope this will help.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 4.50.15 PM.png

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
March 24, 2023

Hi @Mikk Mihkel Nurges 

As an alternative, you can try out our add-on.

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

The app will show your hierarchy based on Issue Links  across different projects and also let your filter on the child issue using JQL.

Disclaimer : I work for the vendor who built this app

Epic Hierarchy - Gadget - Summary.PNG

0 votes
Pasam Venkateshwarrao
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Mikk Mihkel Nurges 

I think the you can use this plugin 

Structure by Tempo - Portfolio & Project Management for Jira

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS