Drag and drop doesn't show name

Peter Drier March 28, 2023

Picture for 1000 Alex: 

Screenshot 2023-03-28 144152.png

How do I get Jira to show the name of the state on the right column?  

It shows when there is more than one option in the column, but seems to hide this info when there's only one.  

In this case, we have 3 states mapped to the closed column, but they're not all accessible from the "In Progress" state.  It would be better if the right column told me that it is actually putting things in a "Rejected" state (as there's currently a bug in our workflow..) 

3 answers

0 votes
Jonas Bang Christensen February 6, 2024

I have exactly same issue.

Easiest solution would be if Jira always show the name of the status, not only when 1+ status options exist. I do not see what the harm would be in that, except always providing more visibility of which status the issue would end in if dropped into that column.

The case is, that in that column where sometimes more than 1 status is an option, depending on where the issue is currently in the workflow, you do not know in which status you would leave the issue if dropped - unless you know the workflow by heart (which most do not).

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Peter Drier welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If there is more than 1 status is mapped to the 'Closed' column (not a resolution), then this means that there is no direct transition from statuses 'Ready for Development' or 'To Do' to the statuses in the 'Closed' column.

You'll need to edit the workflow.

Hi Dave,

I understand that there is an issue with the workflow.. But that's not what this post is about.  How do I get text where the lines are on the right column?  How do I get Jira to tell me what state the issue will be if I drop it on the right column. 

Like Jonas Bang Christensen likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2023

As Dave said, Jira will not show you text for the status of a column if there is only one status in that column. The short answer is that it will be in the status that you have mapped to that column. 

Like Dave Mathijs likes this

The issue I'm dragging in the screenshot was in the "in progress" status pre drag.  Thus negating Dave's answer.  

Our workflow currently has 3 states in the closed column.  Only one of which has a transition from the "in progress" state. 

Care to guess which one?  While I may know, not everyone on my team does.  It would be 100% easier for everyone if Jira showed the name of the state always, not just when there's >1 of them.  

I get that Jira doesn't show that one state when there's only one.  IMHO, that's a bug, how do we get that changed.  Is there a config setting, or does this need more heroic efforts to change.

Like Jonas Bang Christensen likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events