Date format smart value.

PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2020

Hello,

Using Automation for Jira I am simply adding some comments to the ticket using SmartValues.

The field in question is 'Target start' (custom field from advanced roadmaps)

The field itself displays on the issues as:

image.png

However when I put it into the automation: 

'This work has been scheduled to commence on {{Target start}}'

It comes out as:

image.png

Any idea how i can change the format into DD-MM-YYYY ?

Many Thanks

Phil

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Hi @PhilSpo ,

I use this:  {{issue.customfield_16705.longDate}} 

But it can also be written:

{{issue.Target start.longDate}}

That will give you a result of October 17, 2020.

PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2020

Hello John,

Cheers for the suggestion.

I have the automation setup as follows:

image.png

But if I use that format or {{issue.customfield_xxxxx.longDate}}  it keeps coming out as :

image.png

It just ignores the Target start field completely, unless I add it in as {{Target start}} which then displays as 2020-10-17

Im stumped!!

Cheers

Phil

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2020

Hey @Simmo  - Can you shed some light on this? Is this just a weird field type? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2020

@PhilSpo  also looks like there is this format: 

{{issue.resolutiondate.asLongDateTime}}

You might drive the as in front of LongDate.

Also see Andreas's suggestion below. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2020

Hey @PhilSpo  - try this one:

{{issue.Target start.toDate.shortDate.format("dd/mm/yy")}}

PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

Hey @John Funk 

Unfortunately this hasn't worked either. It just returns no data.

Seems that this field isnt a date picker, but you can convert it to a date but not change the format.

Thanks for your suggestions in trying to help with this. Its much appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2020

Have a look at this documentation - smart-values-date-and-time-functions . Focus on the 

{{[date].[dateformat]}}

PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2020

Hello @Jack Brickey 

I did take a look at this page before I posted, it seems everything I try doesn't bring back any values at all.

Cheers

Phil

PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2020

I think the problem is going to be that the field is not a 'Date Picker' type of field.

image.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2020

I have not played with it myself. I did find this thread that seems to indicate the need of the “#” - Format-Custom-Field-Date 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2020

Hmmm, could be. But it is a date field.

Andreas Knecht
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2020

Hi Jack,

If this is not a date field, but looks like a date field, then you'll have to parse it into a date first.  You can do this with our `toDate` function. See "Converting text to dates" on https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/working-with-dates-993924630.html

Something like {{issue.Target start.toDate.shortDate}} should work!

Cheers,
Andreas

PhilSpo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2020

Hi Guys,

Thanks you for your responses in trying to help overcome this situation.

@John Funk  i tried using the 'asLongDateTime' but unfortunately it returns no values and is blank.

@Andreas Knecht  First of all I tried {{issue.Target start.toDate.shortDate}} but this returned 10/23/20

So then i combined that with the suggestion of John and used {{issue.Target start.toDate.longDate}}

This came back with October 23, 2020

This is a bit better for UK customers to understand but I'm still looking for that elusive dd/mm/yy format.

Using any of the below combinations produces no values.

{{issue.Target start.toDate("yyyy MM dd")}}

{{issue.Target start.toDate("dd MM yyyy")}}

{{issue.Target start.toDate("dd MM yy")}}

Cheers

Phil

Like Peter Quick likes this
Casey Gould May 1, 2023

I think these last ones are close but failing without the slashes.

If {{issue.Target start.toDate.shortDate}} successfully produces a date, the formatting piece for day-month-year would be: 

{{issue.Target start.toDate.format("dd/MM/yy")}}

Suggest an answer