Cloning with Automation from JSM to JSW

Whitni Smith April 19, 2024

I have an automation rule in place that when a ticket in our JSM transitions to "Transferred for Development" it clones that issue into a JSW project. 

We ran in to some problems in which the system couldn't clone a specific bug type and was throwing the "Bad Request 400 error" we determined this was because a required field existed in the Software project that wasn't set in the JSM project...BUT

One thing I am wondering in troubleshooting, Automation has both "Clone Issue" and "Create new issue" -- when troubleshooting, before catching the required field (Security Level) on the screen of the SW project, I'd switched the component in Automation from Clone to Create and it was successful in creating a new issue (even though the system required field was on the Create Screen. 

Does anyone know if there are nuances between cloning an issue and creating an issue in Jira that appears to bypass required fields? 

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

Hi Whitni - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I have been seeing this a lot lately. Instead of doing a Clone, try doing a Create Issue action and identify the fields you want to copy. The choose copy from the Trigger issue. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2024

Hi @Whitni Smith -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Adding to John's answer...

I also recommend working with your Jira site admin to submit a ticket to Atlassian Support: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

This symptom has been happening for at least a couple of weeks, according to my observation of community posts, starting just before the notification of the scheduled automation updates on 7 April, and continuing since then.  Perhaps seeing more specific cases will help the team to address this issue.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Whitni Smith April 19, 2024

@John Funk that's what I ended up doing (Create vs Clone), it fits the logical journey anyways. We did end up finding root cause though of the blocker on Clone and it was related to the Security Level field (which was required). The JSM doesn't have an issue security scheme attached to it where as the project we were cloning to does and I think (speculation but pretty sure) the system is expecting that to be set on clone and not on a net-new Create ticket so it wasn't but couldn't specify the field because only 1 project (not the source one) was even using that field. 

We did submit a ticket already as well. 

...it says I'm new but I've been a Jira Admin for 9+ years *laughs* 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

Thank you for the clarification on the issue security scheme. That is something I will ask about in the future for these. Also, thanks for putting in the support ticket. 

And I think it might just mean that you ware "new" to the Atlassian Community - not Jira.  :-)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2024

@Whitni Smith  - Any update?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events