Can't add Epic Link Field to Issue

Yusuf Kappaya December 7, 2021

Hello,

I've read all the guides and questions online and can't seem to figure this out.

At my previous company, issues had an "epic link" field. Based on other posts, I assume that this is because they were "company managed projects".

I'm presently managing a "team managed" project, and neither I nor my Jira admin can add the "epic link" field to issues.

I've already created epic labels in the backlog screen.

I need this because it will allow me to track my non software tickets by themes.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2021

Hello @Yusuf Kappaya 

As @Jack Brickey said, the Epic Link field does not apply to Team Managed projects.

Additionally, Team Managed projects don't allow you to add the Parent field to the display to make that field directly editable. The ways to add a child story to an Epic are:

- create a new child issue as a Child Issue of an Epic by viewing the Epic and using the Add a Child Issue button.

- if the child issue has already been created...

-- From a board backlog screen, drag and drop the child issues from the backlog list to the Epic displayed in the Epic pane, or

-- While viewing the child issue click the Add Epic link that appears in the breadcrumbs at the top of the issue display.

Kelly Lillis January 28, 2022

Is there any way to add the Parent Field on the Issue Create form??

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2022

Hello @Kelly Lillis 

Welcome to the community.

As I said in my response: "Team Managed projects don't allow you to add the Parent field to the display to make that field directly editable." That applies to the Create Issue screen and the View/Edit screens.

Kelly Lillis January 28, 2022

Hi Trudy thank you for the follow up. I think my question, though poorly worded, was an inquiry if anyone has created a way to hack this. I might try an automation where I add some custom field that looks like the parent link and when that is added perhaps I can get the system to go add the parent link post creation. Just brainstorming out loud. thanks again. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2022

Hi Kelly. 

In this post a person found a way to set the Parent field to an Epic for an issue in a Team Managed project. Maybe that will help you.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Team-managed-projects-questions/Setting-next-gen-Epic-parent-in-jira-automation/qaq-p/1263233

Like Kelly Lillis likes this
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2021

Epic link does not apply to TMP. There is the concept of Parent that more or less replaces it depending on your goal.

Yusuf Kappaya December 7, 2021

Thanks!

I've read a few articles now and haven't figured out the parent yet.

Is there a way for me to tag a "parent link" in the issue ticket?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events