Setting next-gen Epic parent in jira automation

Natasha Denny January 6, 2020

I would like to create the below rule using Automation for Jira:

• When an issue transitions to 'in progress'
    • create a new task in next-gen 'Project EPMO'
      • and link task to next-gen epic 'EMPO-40'

The rule works up until point 3. I'm not able to link the task to an Epic. 

I've tried setting the 'Epic Link' field - but it did not recognize epic link.
I've also tried setting the field 'parent' via JSON but said 'data was not an object'

Any suggestions? 

image-20200107-014029.pngimage-20200107-014119.png

1 answer

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Natasha Denny January 6, 2020

Seems I've solved by own problem. 

If anyone is interested, to update the parent of a child issue in next gen projects, you need to reference is the Issue Id of the parent:

{"fields":{"parent":{"id":"36768"}}}

The rule works below: 

Working rule.PNG

Taylor Snow February 17, 2020

How could I format this so that its the trigger issue, which is the epic? I am trying to automate a set of tasks that are created for each epic created. 

Like # people like this
Nic March 1, 2020

@Natasha Denny Thank you SO much for following up and posting your solution - I was able to use your discovery to solve an unrelated problem. I'm eternally grateful! 

Like # people like this
Jonathan Sheetz March 2, 2021

@Taylor Snow - Not sure if you're still looking for an answer on this, but the easiest way to do this is to set a variable at the beginning of the automation, with the value being {{issue.id}} (I named my variable {{parentID}}.  This will let you extend this value into some of the repeated nested flows.  Then when referencing, the example above should look like this to set the parent:

{"fields":{"parent":{"id":"{{parentid}}"}}}

Like # people like this
Charles Amschel June 22, 2021

@Jonathan Sheetz Thank you for this! I'm very new to this stuff. Your comment made all the difference and will save me a ton of work. 

Walter Lamm July 16, 2021

@Natasha Denny Thank you so much, that worked like a charm!

For anyone else finding this solution, you also can set the key of the Epic instead of the ID like this:

{"fields":{"parent":{"key":"TS-123"}}}

Like Barry Scallan likes this
Barry Scallan January 9, 2023

Sharing how I have it working thanks to you all.

automate parent association in next gen.pngIf interested in the ticket type, the purpose is to be able to have Goals on the board (not just grouping). I'm automating the status of Goals (Epics) and Goal Tracker tickets to be the same, this way I can use the Board to manage Goals in a team managed project without having multiple boards.  It's also a way around only the 3 status status category to implement workflows for my Goals not to only have the status category. Very handy.

Suggest an answer