Can backlog quick create set a custom field based on the board filter?

Elizabeth Oxton June 7, 2022

Hey all!, looking for any help regarding this. It's come up a few times on this forum (1, 2, 3) albeit worded slightly differently each time and I'm wondering if this just needs to be a feature request to the atlassian team?

When adding an issue in the backlog of a board (i.e. through the quick create function) is it possible for fields to be set so that the issue will satisfy the board filter conditions?

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 2.20.50 PM.png

We have multiple teams working out of a single project which have their boards separated via the "Teams" field. So our board filters look like...

project = singleproject AND "Team[Team]" = breakfastclub ORDER BY Rank ASC
project = singleproject AND "Team[Team]" = reservoirdogs ORDER BY Rank ASC

etc.

It used to work for our teams (many months ago) that they could use the quick create and it would add the corresponding team based on the backlog they were in but this has not worked now, or has worked only sometimes and not others, for the better part of a year. We've yet to find any functionality, validators, post functions, board settings, automations, etc. that would actually satisfy the user experience consistently. It's also very odd that it had worked and no longer doesnt. 

(Credit to Trudy!) One suggestion is to build an automation based on the reporter which will automatically add the team. But this misses all the use cases where we have teams taking requests or that primarily help and unblock others with found problems; or where teams identify bugs that belong under the scope of another teams' maintenance commitments. For many teams this also means a very nasty large automation to maintain every time someone joins, leaves, gets moved, a team gets split into two, etc.

Does anybody else share this painpoint? Has solved this painpoint? Is there a feature request I and others can vote on? All thoughts appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Saurabh.Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

Hi Oliver,

Good Day. I think your requirement is that if a Jira issue is created on a particular board using quick create option, the Teams field should be automatically set as per the filter criteria of board . 

I am not sure if this capability exists in Jira but I can give you a workaround. This may not be a perfect solution but it should work.

Workaround - Whenever your team creates a new ticket, is it possible to add the Team's name in the Summary field something like "Summary: |breakfastclub| Test ticket01".

If this can be done, you can create a simple automation rule like below to update Teams or any other field as per board filter criteria

-----------------------------------

When: Issue created

if: Issue matches JQL
summary ~ breakfastclub

Then: Edit issue fields
Set "Team[Team]" as breakfastclub

----------------------------------

Thanks,

Saurabh

Elizabeth Oxton June 10, 2022

Hey Saurabh!,

This is definitely possible. You can go further as well by removing the team's name from the summary too in the automation:

{{issue.summary.replace("breakfastclub", "")}}

It's certainly a way to make this work, similar to the team assignment by reporter, but it feels very clunky. At that point I wonder why use the teams field to separate the boards and just the summary? No automations needed. It also doesn't explain why this used to work for our teams before and no longer does :( 

Like Saurabh.Sharma likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events