Quick create button - can we use it with two required fields?

Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2022

Hi all, 

Hope you are all in good health and in safety places!

I am curious, can you use the quick "Create button" in backlog if you specify a field as required?

I am referring to this button from the backlog:

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 17.01.31.png

I know that the summary is a required and when you click this "Create button" you actually fill the summary, but I am trying to find a way to have another required field and do not loose the option of creating issues quickly.

Does anyone managed to achieve this?

Thank you all in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2022

hi @Magdalena Zhisheva 

as far as my knowledge reaches there is no option to configure that.

My question here is:
What avoids you to create an issue via the „Create“ button at the top? With this option you could configure the „create screen“ to have required fields.

Hope this was helpful.

Best
Stefan

Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl , 

Thank you for looking at this :) 

The quick "Create button" usage is a requirement for many of our teams but the custom required field is a requirement, too.  So I am trying to find some workaround on this.

I am thinking to implement the required custom field to the "edit screen" as workaround scenario and this will allow the users to use the quick create button option, as well. 

Cheers, 

Magdalena

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

What exactly and why is the "quick create" a requirement?? using the "quick create" is just a way of creating an issue. Is it really your requirement that the quick create has to be used or is it a requirement that an issue with some required fields should be created? Furthermore: What would the quick create scenario would then look like? How would it behave when you would like to add another field as required (as it is designed to quickly create an issue with only the summary in 1 line).

"quick create" is by purpose designed as it is, as this is really quick. Changing this behaviour would not be quick anymore and just duplicate the functionality that already exists as you could click the "create" button which opens the create dialog that can be configured to have required fields.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

Wait....guess I found something that could be a feasible way:

• Add a validator to your workflow for "Create" transition
  • choose the field that needs to be required
  • this will behave as follows:
    • type in "summary" in quick create line in backlog
    • by hitting "Enter" the create screen automatically opens
    • hint is shown which field is required
  • field can be then filled and issue created

Might that be a solution for your requirement?

Best
Stefan

Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2022

Hi, @Stefan Salzl ,

will try it and will let you know! Really appreciate your help with this!

Cheers,

Magdalena 

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

You are welcome 🙌

Looking forward to your feedback if this could solve your requirement.

Best
Stefean

Like Magdalena Zhisheva likes this

Suggest an answer