Can a story be moved to a sprint backlog when it is moved to a particular status?

Ganesh Kumar Vary June 21, 2021

Hi,

I am working on a Scrum project & I have a special use case:

when the story is moved to a status named "Backlog", this should take the story out of sprint to backlog of the sprint. Is there any automation rule using which I can achieve the solution.

Please help me with the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ganesh Kumar.

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

You need to edit the Sprint field and remove the current sprint. The easy way would be to clear the field but the downside is you would loose any historical sprints as well. So the trick here is how to only remove the current active sprint. 
Now, my question here is what is driving this desired behavior? Why not simply remove the issue from the backlog vs. manually moving status to backlog? Both are manual steps.

Ganesh Kumar Vary June 21, 2021

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the response. let me try & work on this. Hopefully it works fine.

This is typical requirement from my client. The client doesn't want to move the issue to backlog manually. He wants it to be automated.

Anyways thank you once again for the quick response. I appreciate it.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

How do they transition to “backlog” status? Is that manual? If so how is it different?

Ganesh Kumar Vary July 22, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey ,

Thanks for the quick response, we are using a post function in workflow to clear the sprint value. So, when ever the story is moved to the status, the sprint value is cleared and the story is moved to backlog.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Ganesh Kumar Vary July 22, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for a quick response, I am using Company Managed project.

Suggest an answer